International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 129, White streak 6, wst6
Stock number: BGS 129
Locus name: White streak 6
Locus symbol: wst6
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
White stripe j = wst,,j (5).
Monofactorial recessive (5).
Located in chromosome 3HL (4, 5); wst6.j is about 10.6 cM distal from the uzu1 (uzu 1) locus (3, 4, 5); wst6.j is associated with SNP markers 2_1305 to 2_0626 (positions 103.33 to 152.84 cM) in 3H bins 06 to 10 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW915 (1), likely in 3H bin 07.
When grown under low temperature conditions, the leaf sheath and leaf blade become whitish or white streaked. In some cases, only the leaf tip and the central portion of the blade remained green (5). White streaks were not expressed above 20°C (5). A white streaked phenotype was expressed in seedlings grown under greenhouse conditions (2). Plants of BW915, the Bowman backcross-derived line for wst6.j, were up to 7 days later, 10 to 15 cm shorter, and lower yielding than Bowman in some environments. However, BW915 was similar Bowman in other field trials (2).
Origin of mutant:
An ethyl methanesulfonate induced mutant in Akashinriki (OUJ659, PI 467400) (5).
wst6.j (OUM231, GSHO 2500) in Akashinriki (OUJ659, PI 467400) (4, 5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
wst6.j (OUM231, GSHO 2500) in Akashinriki; wst6.j plus uzu1.a in Bowman (PI 483237)*3 (GSHO 1968); wst6.j in Bowman*7 (BW915, NGB 22346).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Konishi, T., J. Hayashi, I. Moriya, and R. Takahashi. 1984. Inheritance and linkage studies in barley. VII. Location of six new mutant genes on chromosome 3. Ber. Ohara Inst. landw. Biol., Okayama Univ. 18:251-264.
4. Moriya, I., and R. Takahashi. 1980. Linkage studies of three barley mutants. Barley Genet. Newsl. 10:47-51.
5. Takahashi, R., J. Hayashi, and I. Moriya. 1974. New linkage data obtained during 1972-73 season. Barley Genet. Newsl. 4:74-76
J.D. Franckowiak and T. Konishi. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:165.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2011. Barley Genet. Newsl. 41:105.