International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 260, Chlorina seedling 11, fch11
Stock number: BGS 260
Locus name: Chlorina seedling 11
Locus symbol: fch11
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Pale green = pg (3).
Chlorina seedling 11 = f11 (1).
Monofactorial recessive (3).
Located in chromosome 6HL (5); fch11.t is about 6.1 cM distal from the rob1 (orange lemma 1) locus (3, 5); fch11.t is associated with SNP markers 2_0651 to 1_0377 (positions 89.78 to 91.91 cM) in 6H bin 07 in Bowman backcross-derived line BW353 (2).
Seedlings are pale yellow-green and often have white blotches on the seedling leaves. Plants remain light green until maturity (3). Compared to Bowman, plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for fch11.t, BW353, headed 2 to 4 days later and were slightly taller. Kernels of BW353 were 10% lighter only in drought stressed environments. Grain yields of BW353 were 1/2 to 3/4 of those for Bowman (4).
Origin of mutant:
An X-ray induced mutant in Himalaya (CIho 1312) obtained by Caldecott and North at the University of Minnesota (1).
fch11.t (GBC357 and GBC359, GSHO 1738) in Himalaya (CIho 1312) (1).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
fch11.t (GSHO 1738) in Himalaya; fch11.t in Bowman (PI 483237)*6 (GSHO 2082); fch11.t in Bowman*7 (BW353, NGB 20592).
1. Burnham, C.R., and K.J. Kasha. 1979. BGS 260, Chlorina seedling, f11. Barley Genet. Newsl. 9:133.
2. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
3. Falk, D.E., and K.J. Kasha. 1979. The map location of a pale green mutant on chromosome 6. Barley Genet. Newsl. 9:17-18.
4. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
5. Kasha, K.J., and A. Ho-Tsia. 1977. Light green seedling mutant on chromosome 6. Barley Genet. Newsl. 7:43.
C.R. Burnham and K.J. Kasha. 1979. Barley Genet. Newsl. 9:133.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:240.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2015. Barley Genet. Newsl. 45:120.