International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 132, Breviaristatum-a, ari-a
Stock number: BGS 132
Locus name: Breviaristatum-a
Locus symbol: ari-a
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Breviaristatum-6 = ari-6 (3, 4).
Short awn 7 = lk7 (9).
Monofactorial recessive (4).
Located in chromosome 3HS (6, 7, 8); ari-a.6 is probably less than 2.4 cM from the centromere (7); ari-a.6 is associated with SNP markers 2_1197 to 1_0653 (positions 78.82 to 92.55 cM) in 3H bins 05 to 06 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW038 (1), likely in 3H bin 05.
A common feature of mutants at this locus is instability in the expression of awn length, ranging from very short to 5/6 normal length in various environments (4). In some environments, secondary or tertiary tillers may show a drastic reduction in the length of stem internodes, spikes, and awns. Awns are thin and brittle and may flare somewhat on later tillers. Kernels are thin with fine wrinkles on the lemma (4). Plants of BW038, the Bowman backcross-derived line for mutant ari-a.6, were 10 to 20% shorter than Bowman and their awns extended beyond the tip of the spike 5 to 9 cm vs. 11 to 12 cm for Bowman. Kernels of BW038 were slightly smaller in size and weighed 10 to 20% less than the Bowman kernels. Grain yields of BW038 were about 2/3 those of Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
A gamma-ray induced mutant in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (4).
ari-a.6 (NGB 115850, GSHO 1648), -a.7 (NGB 115851) in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (4); ari-a.8 (NGB 115852), -a.23 (NGB 115871) in Bonus (5); ari-a.26 (NGB 115874) in Bonus (4); ari-a.31 (NGB 115880) in Bonus (5); ari-a.37 (NGB 115887), -a.48 (NGB 115900) in Bonus, -a.118 (NGB 115930), -a.121 (NGB 115933), -a.124 (NGB 115936), -a.126 (NGB 115938) in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (4); ari-a.122 (NGB 115934), -a.125 (NGB 115937), -a.148 (NGB 115960) in Foma (5); ari-a.152 (NGB 115962), -a.162 (NGB 115972), -a.174 (NGB 115984), -a.211 (NGB 116020) in Foma (4); ari-a.216 (NGB 116025) in Foma (5); ari -a.273 (NGB 116085), -a.277 (NGB 116090), -a.279 (NGB 116092), -a.287 (NGB 116104), -a.293 (NGB 116113) in Kristina (NGB 1500, NGB 14661) (4); ari-a.296 (NGB 116116), -a.305 (NGB 116131) in Kristina (5); lks7.i (Kmut 114) in Asahi 5 (OUJ509) (9).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
ari-a.6 (NGB 115850, GSHO 1648) in Bonus ari-a.6 in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 1958, BW038, NGB 20466).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Gustafsson, Å., A. Hagberg, U. Lundqvist, and G. Persson. 1969. A proposed system of symbols for the collection of barley mutants at Svalöv. Hereditas 62:409-414.
4. Kucera, J., U. Lundqvist, and Å. Gustafsson. 1975. Inheritance of breviaristatum mutants in barley. Hereditas 80:263-278.
5. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
6. Persson, G. 1969. An attempt to find suitable genetic markers for the dense ear loci in barley I. Hereditas 62:25-96.
7. Persson, G. 1969. An attempt to find suitable genetic markers for the dense ear loci in barley II. Hereditas 63:1-28.
8. Persson, G., and A. Hagberg. 1965. Localization of nine induced mutations in the barley chromosomes. Barley Newsl. 8:52-54.
9. Tsuchiya, T. 1974. Allelic relationships of genes for short-awned mutants in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 4:80-81.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:168.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2011. Barley Genet. Newsl. 41:106-107.