International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 379, Shrunken endosperm genetic 3, seg3
Stock number: BGS 379
Locus name: Shrunken endosperm genetic 3
Locus symbol: seg3
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Shrunken endosperm = se3 (6).
Proanthocyanidin-free 17 = ant17 (4).
Monofactorial recessive (7).
Located in chromosome 3HS (1, 7); seg3.c is over 30.8 cM from the centromere (7); seg1.a is associated with SNP marker 1_0601 (position 71.29 cM) in 3H bin 05 in Bowman backcross-derived line BW836 (2); ant17.148 is associated with SNP markers 2_0607 to 1_0601 (positions 52.41 to 71.29 cM) in 3H bins 04 to 05 in Bowman backcross-derived line BW016 (2), in 3H bin 05.
The size of seg3.c kernels is reduced to about 33% of normal when grown under field conditions. Kernels are long and thin, but they are viable and good stand establishment is possible (7). Light microscopy revealed that the seg3 mutant exhibited premature termination of grain filling because of the necrosis and crushing of the chalazal and nucellar projection of the pericarp early during grain filling (3). The mutant ant17.148 is an allele at the seg3 locus (4); thus, all mutants at the proanthocyanidin-free 17 (ant17) locus might be alleles at the shrunken endosperm genetic 3 (seg3) locus. Alleles at the seg3 locus in the Bowman backcross-derived lines BW016 and BW836 showed variable reductions in kernel weight: Kernels of BW016 and BW836 were thin, 3.2 vs. 3.8 mm, and weighed 1/3 to 1/2 of normal while those of ant17.567, another allele at the ant17 locus, (8) were about 3/4 of normal (4). Plants of BW016 and BW836 were slightly shorter than Bowman plants and headed about two days later. Grain yields of BW016 and BW836 were 10 to 20% of those for Bowman (4). The strong effects of seg3 mutants on grain development were not observed in all ant17 mutants. Although the seg3 locus was named before the ant17 locus, but many more mutants were identified at the ant17 locus. See BGS 599 for a complete listing of ant17 mutants.
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant in Compana (PI 539111) (5).
seg3.c (GSHO 752) in Compana (PI 539111) (5, 6), ant17.148 (Galant, NGB 13698) in Triumph (PI 268180, NGB 13678) (4).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
seg3.c (GSHO 752) in Compana; seg3.c in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 1957, BW836, NGB 22273); ant17.148 from Triumph in Bowman*4 (GSHO 1973, BW016, NGB 20424).
1. Boyd, P.W., and D. E. Falk. 1990. (Personal communications).
2. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
3. Felker, F.C., D.M. Peterson, and O.E. Nelson. 1985. Anatomy of immature grains of eight material effect shrunken endosperm barley mutants. Amer. J. Bot. 72:248-256.
4. Franckowiak, J.D. (Personal communications).
5. Jarvi, A.J. 1970. Shrunken endosperm mutants in barley, Hordeum vulgare. Ph.D. Thesis. Montana State Univ., Bozeman.
6. Jarvi, A.J., and R.F. Eslick. 1971. BGS 379, Normal vs. shrunken endosperm, se3. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:191.
7. Jarvi, A.J., and R.F. Eslick. 1975. Shrunken endosperm mutants in barley. Crop Sci. 15:363-366.
8. Jende-Strid, B. 1988. Coordinator's report: Anthocyanin genes. Stock list of ant mutants kept at the Carlsberg Laboratory. Barley Genet. Newsl. 18:74-79.
A.J. Jarvi and R.F. Eslick. 1971. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:191.
B. Jende-Strid. 1999. Barley Genet. Newsl. 29:88-89, as BGS 599, proanthocyanidin-free 17, ant17.
R.F. Eslick. 1976. Barley Genet. Newsl. 6:137.
T. Tsuchiya. 1980. Barley Genet. Newsl. 10:126.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:327.
J.D. Franckowiak and U. Lundqvist. 2007 Barley Genet. Newsl. 37:265-266.
J.D. Franckowiak and U. Lundqvist. 2015 Barley Genet. Newsl. 45:160-161.