International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 378, Shrunken endosperm genetic 2, seg2
Stock number: BGS 378
Locus name: Shrunken endosperm genetic 2
Locus symbol: seg2
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Shrunken endosperm = se2 (2).
Monofactorial recessive (1).
Located in chromosome 7HS (1, 5); seg2.b is about 5.7 cM proximal from the msg10 (male sterile genetic 10) locus (3); seg2.b is about 2.8 cM proximal from the sex6 (shrunken endosperm xenia 6) locus (4).
Seed size is greatly reduced with a 100-kernel weight about 15% of normal. Fertility is normal. Little or no starch is deposited in the seed that develops on homozygous plants. When seed is germinated on blotters in a 10% sucrose solution, seedling establishment was about 25% after transplanting to soil (1, 3). The line maintained as the seg2.b stock (GSHO 751) has nearly normal appearing endosperm.
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant in Betzes (PI 129430) (1).
seg2.b in Betzes (PI 129430) (1, 2).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
seg2.b from Betzes in a six-rowed line (GSHO 751); seg2.b in a balanced tertiary trisomic (BBT) stock T16c (5).
1. Jarvi, A.J. 1970. Shrunken endosperm mutants in barley, Hordeum vulgare. Ph.D. Thesis. Montana State Univ., Bozeman.
2. Jarvi, A.J., and R.F. Eslick. 1971. BGS 378, Normal vs. shrunken endosperm, se2. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:190-191.
3. Jarvi, A.J., and R.F. Eslick. 1975. Shrunken endosperm mutants in barley. Crop Sci. 15:363-366.
4. Netsvetaev, V.P. 1990. [Location of a shrunken endosperm gene, sex6, in barley.] Nauchno-Tekhn. Byull' VSGI, Odessa. No. 1 (75):31-35. [In Russian.]
5. Ramage, R.T. 1971. Translocations and balanced tertiary trisomics. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:74-80.
A.J. Jarvi and R.F. Eslick. 1971. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:190-191.
R.F. Eslick. 1976. Barley Genet. Newsl. 6:136.
T. Tsuchiya. 1980. Barley Genet. Newsl. 10:125.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:326.