International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 748, Reaction to Puccinia graminis 3 (wheat stem rust)., Rpg3
Stock number: BGS 748
Locus name: Reaction to Puccinia graminis 3 (wheat stem rust).
Locus symbol: Rpg3
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial dominant (4, 5).
Located in chromosome 5HL (2); Rpg3.c is near the centromere (2); Rpg3.c was estimated to be between 74.2 and 85.5 cM (2).
PI 382313 showed moderate seedling resistance to six Puccinia graminis f. sp. tritici isolates and improved resistance in field evaluations (4, 5). PI 382313 exhibited a moderate-to-high level of adult plant resistance (APR) to races QCCJB and MCCFC, but had mostly susceptible seedling phenotypes (1, 2, 3). Seedling tests with wheat and rye stem rust isolates were ineffective in rapidly detecting resistance conferred by PI 382313 (7). PI 382313 exhibited lower seedling and adult plant reactions to reactions to African stem rust race TTKSK (6).
Origin of mutant:
Rpg3.c in GAW-79 (PI 382313) from Ethiopia (1, 2, 3).
A spontaneous variant in GAW-79 (PI 382313) (4, 5) collected from Ethiopia (3).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
Rpg3.c in GAW-79 (PI 382313) from Ethiopia.
1. Case, A., 2017. Genetics, sources, and mapping of stem rust resistance in barley. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Minnesota, St. Paul, MN.
2. Case, A.J., S. Bhavani, G. Macharia, Z. Pretorius, V. Coetzee, F. Kloppers, P. Tyagi, G. Brown‑Guedira, and B.J. Steffenson. 2018. Mapping adult plant stem rust resistance in barley accessions Hietpas‑5 and GAW‑79. Theor. Appl. Genet. 131:2245-2266.
3. Fox, S.L., and D.E. Harder. 1995. Resistance to stem rust in barley and inheritance of resistance to race QCC. Can J. Plant Sci. 75:781-788.
4. Jedel, P.E. 1991. A gene for resistance to Puccinia graminis f. sp. tritici in PI 382313. Barley Genet. Newsl. 20:43-44.
5. Jedel, P.E., D.R. Metcalfe, and J.W. Martens. 1989. Assessment of barley accessions PI-382313, PI-382474, PI-382915, and PI-382976 for stem rust resistance. Crop Sci. 29:1473-1477.
6. Steffenson, B.J., A.J. Case, Z.A. Pretorius, V. Coetzee, F.J. Kloppers, H. Zhou, Y. Chai, R. Wanyera, G. Macharia, S. Bhavani, and S. Grando. 2017. Vulnerability of barley to African pathotypes of Puccinia graminis f. sp. tritici and sources of resistance. Phytopathology 107:350-362.
7. Sun, Y., and B.J. Steffenson. 2005. Reaction of barley seedlings with different stem rust resistance genes to Puccinia graminis f. sp. tritici and Puccinia graminis f. sp. secalis. Can. J. Plant Pathol. 27:80-89.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2018. Barley Genet. Newsl. 48:178.