International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 496, Laxatum-mf, Lax-mf
Stock number: BGS 496
Locus name: Laxatum-mf
Locus symbol: Lax-mf
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Laxatum-302 = Lax-302 (3, 4).
Monofactorial dominant (5), but partially sterile F1 plants indicated that a translocation was present in Lax-mf.302 (5).
Location is unknown.
Rachis internodes of Lax-mf.302 were about 15% longer than those of Foma (4). Plants had few tillers and matured late. Compared to Foma, spikes were short and kernels weighed less (4, 5).
Origin of mutant:
An ethyl methanesulfonate induced mutant in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (4, 6).
Lax-mf.300 (NGB 116524), -mf.301 (NGB 116525), -mf.302 (NGB 116526) in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (1, 2, 5, 6,).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
Lax-mf.302 (NGB 116526) in Foma.
1. Ehrenberg, L., Å. Gustafsson, and U. Lundqvist. 1959. The mutagenic effects of ionizing radiations and reactive ethylene derivatives in barley. Hereditas 45:351-368.
2. Ehrenberg, L., Å. Gustafsson, and U. Lundqvist. 1961. Viable mutants induced in barley by ionizing radiations and chemical mutagens. Hereditas 47:243-282.
3. Gustafsson, Å., A. Hagberg, U. Lundqvist, and G. Persson. 1969. A proposed system of symbols for the collection of barley mutants at Svalöv. Hereditas 62:409-414.
4. Larsson, H.E.B. 1985. Morphological analysis of laxatum barley mutants. Hereditas 103:239-253.
5. Larsson, H.E.B. 1985. Genetic analysis of laxatum barley mutants. Hereditas 103:255-267.
6. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
H.E.B. Larsson and U. Lundqvist. 1986. Barley Genet. Newsl. 16:79.
U. Lundqvist. 2017. Barley Genet. Newsl. 47:165.
U. Lundqvist. 2018. Barley Genet. Newsl. 48:152.