International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 486, Laxatum-o, lax-o
Stock number: BGS 486
Locus name: Laxatum-o
Locus symbol: lax-o
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Laxatum-79 = lax-79 (3, 4).
Monofactorial recessive (5).
Location is unknown.
Rachis internodes of lax-o.79 were about 14% longer than those of Bonus (4). Plants were relatively vigorous, rachis nodes in the upper part of the spike had enlarged sterile lateral spikelets, some sterile spikelets were observed, awn length was reduced, and kernels were relatively long (4).
Origin of mutant:
An ethylene imine induced mutant in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (4, 6).
lax-o.79 (NGB 116412), -o.88 (NGB 116421) in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (1, 2, 5, 6).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
lax-o.79 (NGB 116412) in Bonus
1. Ehrenberg, L., Å. Gustafsson, and U. Lundqvist. 1959. The mutagenic effects of ionizing radiations and reactive ethylene derivatives in barley. Hereditas 45:351-368.
2. Ehrenberg, L., Å. Gustafsson, and U. Lundqvist. 1961. Viable mutants induced in barley by ionizing radiations and chemical mutagens. Hereditas 47:243-282.
3. Gustafsson, Å., A. Hagberg, U. Lundqvist, and G. Persson. 1969. A proposed system of symbols for the collection of barley mutants at Svalöv. Hereditas 62:409-414.
4. Larsson, H.E.B. 1985. Morphological analysis of laxatum barley mutants. Hereditas 103:239-253.
5. Larsson, H.E.B. 1985. Genetic analysis of laxatum barley mutants. Hereditas 103:255-267.
6. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
H.E.B. Larsson and U. Lundqvist. 1986. Barley Genet. Newsl. 16:69.
U. Lundqvist. 2017. Barley Genet. Newsl. 47:152.