International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 483, Laxatum l, lax-l
Stock number: BGS 483
Locus name: Laxatum l
Locus symbol: lax-l
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Laxatum-60 = lax-60 (5, 6).
Monofactorial recessive (7).
Located likely in chromosome 1H (1); lax-l.60 is associated with SNP markers 1_0744 to 2_1126 (positions 39.84 to 110.10 cM) in 1H bins 03 to 10 and with small groups of SNP markers in chromosome arms 3HL and 7HS of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW468 (1).
Rachis internodes of lax-l.60 were about 23% longer than those of Bonus (6). Spikes exhibited tip sterility, awns were slightly twisted, leaf blades were relatively broad, and kernels were large and angular (6). Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for lax-l.60, BW468, had visually longer rachis internodes (4).
Origin of mutant:
An ethylene imine induced mutant in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (6, 8).
lax-l.60 (NGB 116394), -l.78 (NGB 116411) in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (2, 3, 6).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
lax-l.60 (NGB 116394) in Bonus; lax-l.60 in Bowman (PI 483237)*2 (BW468, NGB 20698).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Ehrenberg, L., Å. Gustafsson, and U. Lundqvist. 1959. The mutagenic effects of ionizing radiations and reactive ethylene derivatives in barley. Hereditas 45:351-368.
3. Ehrenberg, L., Å. Gustafsson, and U. Lundqvist. 1961. Viable mutants induced in barley by ionizing radiations and chemical mutagens. Hereditas 47:243-282.
4. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
5. Gustafsson, Å., A. Hagberg, U. Lundqvist, and G. Persson. 1969. A proposed system of symbols for the collection of barley mutants at Svalöv. Hereditas 62:409-414.
6. Larsson, H.E.B. 1985. Morphological analysis of laxatum barley mutants. Hereditas 103:239-253.
7. Larsson, H.E.B. 1985. Genetic analysis of laxatum barley mutants. Hereditas 103:255-267.
8. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
H.E.B. Larsson and U. Lundqvist. 1986. Barley Genet. Newsl. 16:66.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2017. Barley Genet. Newsl. 47:148.