International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 739, Required for resistance to Cochliobolus sativus 3, rcr3
Stock number: BGS 739
Locus name: Required for resistance to Cochliobolus sativus 3
Locus symbol: rcr3
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (2, 3).
Location is unknown.
Plants with the rcr3.c mutant at the rcr3 locus exhibit a susceptible reaction following inoculation with Cochliobolus sativus (Ito & Kurib.) Drechs. ex Dastur [anamorph: Bipolaris sorokiniana (Sacc.) Shoem.] isolate ND85F. When rated following inoculation at the seedling stage, 10 individual plants of the rcr3.c mutant stock ranged from 4.0 to 4.3 with a mean 4.1 compared to rating of 3.5 to 4.5 with a mean of 3.7 for its moderately resistant parent Morex (2, 3). The six-rowed spring barley cultivar Morex has been reported to have the Rcs5.e (Reaction to Cochliobolus sativus 5) gene and at least two other QTL that in combination confer resistance to C. sativus (1, 4, 5).
Origin of mutant:
A gamma-ray induced mutant in Morex (CIho 15773) (2).
rcr3.c (γ08-124, GSHO 3704) in Morex (CIho 15773) (2, 3).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
rcr3.c (γ08-124, GSHO 3704) in Morex.
1. Bilgic, H., B.J. Steffenson, and P.M. Hayes. 2005. Comprehensive genetic analyses reveal differential expression of spot blotch resistance in four populations of barley. Theor. Appl. Genet. 111:1238-1250.
2. Kleinhofs, A. (Unpublished).
3. Steffenson, B.J. (Unpublished).
4. Steffenson, B.J., P.M. Hayes, and A. Kleinhofs. 1996. Genetics of seedling and adult plant resistance to net blotch (Pyrenophora teres f. teres) and spot blotch (Cochliobolus sativus) in barley. Theor. Appl. Genet. 92:552-558.
5. Zhou, H., and B. Steffenson. 2013. Genome-wide association mapping reveals genetic architecture of durable spot blotch resistance in US barley breeding germplasm. Mol. Breeding 32:139-154.
A. Kleinhofs. 2015. Barley Genet. Newsl. 45:251.