International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 734, Required for Puccinia graminis resistance 5, rpr5
Stock number: BGS 734
Locus name: Required for Puccinia graminis resistance 5
Locus symbol: rpr5
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
γ08-117; R42-33#5 (same as γ08-116) (3, 4).
Monofactorial recessive (2, 3, 4).
Location is unknown.
The rpr5.e mutant induced a moderate susceptible reaction to Puccinia graminis Pers.:Pers. f. sp. tritici Eriks. E. Henn (Pgt) race MCCF in the cultivar, Morex, having the Rpg1.a gene (see BGS 511) for resistance to P. graminis (wheat stem rust). The rpr5.e mutant has been partially characterized (2, 3) with an infection type (IT) of moderately susceptible (MS): IT range of 2 to 3.2 with a mode 23-32 (rated by 1); IT range of 3- to 3 (rated by 2. 3), or 3, 3-, and 2 rated by 6) based on a 0-4 scale, defined by Stakman et al. (5). The parent line Morex is rated as moderately resistant. For description of IT ratings, see the BGS description for rpr2 (BGS 731). The rpr5.e mutant is not allelic to rpr1.a, rpr2.b, rpr3.c, rpr4.d, or rpr6.f (2, 3, 4). The RPG1 protein is present and apparently functional as indicated by the observations that the RPG1 protein was phosphorylated within 15 min of inoculation with Pgt race MCCF urediniospores and degraded within 24 hrs of infection as expected for a functional RPG1 protein (2, 3, 4).
Origin of mutant:
A gamma-ray induced mutant in Morex (CIho 15773) (3, 4).
rpr5.e (γ08-117; R42-33#5, GSHO 3699) in Morex (CIho 15773) (3, 4).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
rpr5.e (γ08-117; R42-33#5, GSHO 3699) in Morex (4).
1. Brueggeman, R.S. (Unpublished).
2. Gill, U.S. 2012. Understanding and characterizing the genes associated with Rpg1 mediated resistance pathway against stem rust. Ph.D. Thesis. Washington State University, Pullman.
3. Gill, U., R. Brueggeman, J. Nirmala, Y. Chai, B. Steffenson, and A. Kleinhofs. 2016. Molecular and genetic characterization of barley mutants and genetic mapping of mutant rpr2 required for Rpg1-mediated resistance against stem rust. Theor. Appl. Genet. 129 (8):1519-1529.
4. Kleinhofs, A. (Unpublished).
5. Stakman, E.C., D.M. Steward, and W.Q. Loegering. 1962. Identification of physiologic races of Puccinia graminis var. tritici. U.S. Dep. Agric. ARS E-617.
6. Steffenson, B.J. (Unpublished).
A. Kleinhofs. 2015. Barley Genet. Newsl. 45:246.
A. Kleinhofs. 2016. Barley Genet. Newsl. 46:143.