International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 171, Light green 4, lgn4
Stock number: BGS 171
Locus name: Light green 4
Locus symbol: lgn4
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Light green 1 = lg1 (4).
Light green 4 = lg4 (4).
Light green 9 = lg9 (4, 5).
Monofactorial recessive (4, 7).
Located in chromosome 4HL (4, 6, 7, 8); lgn4.d is about 5.0 cM distal from the Kap1 (Hooded lemma 1) locus (4, 6); lgn4.d is about 4.0 cM proximal from the glf1 (glossy leaf 1) locus (4, 6); lgn4.d is associated with SNP markers 2_0114 to 1_1114 (positions 58.13 to 74.11 cM) in 4H bin 05 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW481 (1), in 4H bin 05.
Seedlings are light green in color, and the light green color persists until near maturity (3). In the Bowman backcross-derived line for lgn4.d, BW481, plants had low vigor compared to normal sibs and headed 5 to 16 days later under field conditions (2). Since BW481 appeared very sensitive to environmental conditions, considerable variability in agronomic traits was observed. Plant height of BW481 ranged from 40% less to equal to Bowman with a large portion of the variability due to variable peduncle lengths. Kernel weights in field trials varied from 35 to 55 mg mg while those for Bowman varied from 53 to 58 mg. The grain yields of BW481 ranged from 1/4 to 3/4 of those for Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant in the progeny of the cross Himalaya X Ingrescens (GSHO 681) (4).
lgn4.d (lg1) (GSHO 681) in Himalaya X Ingrescens (GSHO 681) (4); lgn4.i (lg9) (GSHO 1, GSHO 94) in No 156, an unknown cultivar (3, 4).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
lgn4.d (GSHO 681) in Himalaya X Ingrescens; lgn4.d in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 2011, BW481, NGB 20709).
1 Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2010. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Haus, T.E. 1973. Allelism among light green, lg, seedling mutants. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:17-18.
4. Immer, F.R., and M.T. Henderson. 1943. Linkage studies in barley. Genetics 28:419-440.
5. Robertson, D.W., G.A. Wiebe, and R.G. Shands. 1947. A summary of linkage studies in barley: Supplement I, 1940-1946. J. Am. Soc. Agron. 39:464-473.
6. Seip, L., and T. Tsuchiya. 1978. Trisomic analysis of lg4 and zbc. Barley Genet. Newsl. 8:86-89.
7. Singh, R.J., and T. Tsuchiya. 1974. Further information on telotrisomic analysis in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 4:66-69.
8. Tsuchiya, T., and R.L. Haines. 1975. Trisomic analysis of nine mutant genes in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 5:67-69.
T.E. Haus. 1978. Barley Genet. Newsl. 8:155.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:196.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:105-106.