International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 581, Praematurum-e, mat-e
Stock number: BGS 581
Locus name: Praematurum-e
Locus symbol: mat-e
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Praematurum-18 = mat-18 (3).
Monofactorial recessive (2).
Location is unknown.
Early heading mutants at the mat-e locus show a rather drastic increase in earliness (heading 6 days earlier than the parents) under field cultivation in Sweden (1, 4, 5). When grown under controlled environmental conditions, the mutant mat-e.18 is photo- and thermoperiod insensitive (1). Mutants have a pronounced short-day type of photoperiod response (1, 3, 6). A slight delay in heading and less photoperiod neutrality is associated with other alleles at this locus (4).
Origin of mutant:
A neutron induced mutant in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (6).
mat-e.18 (NGB 110018, GSHO 1791) in Bonus (PI 189763) (3); mat-e.55 (NGB 110055), -e.69 (NGB 110069), -e.98 (NGB 110098) in Bonus, -e.655 (NGB 110655) in Kristina (NGB 1500), -e.854 (NGB 110854), -e.883 (NGB 110883), -e.890 (NGB 116845) in Bonus, -e.1093 (NGB 117624) in Sv Ög74233 (4, 5, 6).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
mat-e.18 (NGB 110018, GSHO 1791) in Bonus; mat-e.18 in Bowman (PI 483237)*5 (BW510, NGB 20738).
1. Gustafsson, Å., I. Dormling, and U. Lundqvist. 1982. Gene, genotype and barley climatology. Biol. Zent. Bl. 101:763-78.
2. Gustafsson, Å., A. Hagberg, U. Lundqvist, and G. Persson. 1969. A proposed system of symbols for the collection of barley mutants at Svalöv. Hereditas 62:409-414.
3. Gustafsson, Å., and U. Lundqvist 1976. Controlled environment and short-day tolerance in barley mutants. p. 45-53. In Induced Mutants in Cross-breeding. Proc. advisory Group, Vienna, 1975. Int. Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna.
4. Lundqvist, U. 1991. Swedish mutation research in barley with plant breeding aspects. A historical review. p. 135-148. In Plant Mutation Breeding for Crop Improvement. Proc. Int. Symp. Vienna, 1990. Int. Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna.
5. Lundqvist, U. 1992. Coordinator's report: Earliness genes. Barley Genet. Newsl. 21:127-129.
6. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:508.