International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 164, Hairs on lemma nerves 1, Hln1
Stock number: BGS 164
Locus name: Hairs on lemma nerves 1
Locus symbol: Hln1
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Hairs on lemma nerves = Hn (5).
Monofactorial dominant when crossed to a cultivar having abundant barbs on the lemma nerves (4, 5).
Located in chromosome 4HL (4); Hln1.a is over 8.7 cM proximal from the yhd1 (yellow head 1) locus; Hln1.a is over 22.5 cM distal from the mlo (reaction to Erysiphe graminis hordei-o) locus (3, 4); a complete linkage with the dominant allele at the Hsh1 (Hairy leaf sheath 1) locus has been observed (5); Hln1.a is associated with SNP markers 1_1066 to 1_0269 (positions 171.3 to 176.8 cM) in 4H bin 12 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW415 (1), in 4H bin 12. The 4HL SNP markers observed in BW415 were recorded as heterozygous, but they have the same haplotype pattern as the SNP marker retained from the donor parent in BW416 (Hsh1.a) (2). The BW415 plant evaluated with SNP markers did retain two other polymorphisms, in chromosomes 2HL and 7HL, from its donor parent (1).
A few hairs of 1 to 2 mm are mixed with the ordinary teeth or barbs on the lateral nerves of the lemma (4, 5). Expression of the Hln1.a gene may be easier to observe as 1 mm hairs on the tip of sterile lateral kernels in two-rowed barley (2). The Hln1 gene is associated with a recessive short awn trait (2/3 of normal length). The Bowman backcross-derived line for Hln1.a, BW415, was similar to Bowman except awns were half normal length and kernels were slightly heavier (2).
Origin of mutant:
Natural occurrence in a number of cultivars from Japan and Korea (5).
Hln1.a in Kogane-mugi (OUL010, GSHO 576) and in several other cultivars (5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
Hln1.a in Kogane-mugi (PI 225020, GSHO 576, OUL010, AB1384); Hln1.a from AB1384 in Bowman (PI 483237)*4 (GSHO 2027); Hln1.a from AB1384 in Bowman*6 (BW 415, NGB 20648).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Hayashi, J., and R. Takahashi. 1986. Location of hs for hairy sheath and yh for yellow head character on barley chromosome 4. Barley Genet. Newsl. 16:24-27.
4. Takahashi, R., and J. Hayashi. 1966. Inheritance and linkage studies in barley. II. Assignment of several new mutant genes to their respective linkage groups by the trisomic method of analysis. Ber. Ohara Inst. landw. Biol., Okayama Univ. 13:185-198.
5. Takahashi, R., J. Hayashi, and S. Yasuda. 1957. [Four genes in linkage in barley, which are inherited independently of the markers in the known seven linkage groups in barley.] Nogaku Kenkyu 45:1-10. [In Japanese.]
R. Takahashi. 1972. Barley Genet. Newsl. 2:189.
J.D. Franckowiak and T. Konishi. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:189.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:99-100.