International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 167, Reaction to barley yellow mosaic virus 1 (BaYMV), rym1
Stock number: BGS 167
Locus name: Reaction to barley yellow mosaic virus 1 (BaYMV)
Locus symbol: rym1
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Resistance to BaYMV = Ym (8).
Monofactorial recessive (3, 5).
Located in chromosome 4HL (3, 5); rym1.a is approximately 9.7 cM distal from the glf3 (glossy leaf 3) locus (3); rym1.a is closely linked to molecular marker MWG2134 (5), which is in 4H bin 06.
Plants with the rym1.a gene show less yellowing and stunting than susceptible plants when grown in fields that are infested with BaYMV (8). Mokusekko 3 is resistant to all strains of BaYMV and BaMMV (barley mild mosaic virus) in Japan (1, 6) and Germany (7), and possesses at least two recessive genes, rym1.a and rym5.h (3, 5). The rym1.a gene was separated from the rym5.h gene in the progeny from a cross between Mokusekko 3 and Colsess (a susceptible genetic stock) using isozyme assisted selection (3). The line MK501-234 carries only the rym1.a gene and is resistant to all strains of BaYMV in Japan (2, 3).
Origin of mutant:
Natural occurrence in Mokusekko 3 (OUC627, PI 420938) (8).
rym1.a in Mokusekko 3 (PI 420938, OUC627) (8).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
rym1.a in Mokusekko 3 (OUC627, PI 420938) (3); rym1.a in MC501-234, which has only the rym1.a gene for resistance to BaYMV (3).
1. Kashiwazaki, S., K. Ogawa, T. Usugi, T. Omura, and T. Tsuchizaki. 1989. Characterization of several strains of barley yellow mosaic virus. Ann. Phytopath. Soc. Japan 55:16-25.
2. Konishi. (Unpublished).
3. Konishi, T., T. Ban, Y. Iida, and R. Yoshimi. 1997. Genetic analysis of disease resistance to all strains of BaYMV in a Chinese barley landrace, Mokusekko 3. Theor. Appl. Genet. 94:871-877.
4. Konishi, T., and R. Kaiser. 1991. Genetic difference in barley yellow mosaic virus resistance between Mokusekko 3 and Misato Golden. Japan. J. Breed. 41:499-505.
5. Miyazaki, C., E. Osanai, K. Saeki, K. Ito, T. Konishi, K. Sato, and A. Saito. 2001. Mapping of quantitative trait loci conferring resistance to barley yellow mosaic virus in a Chinese barley landrace Mokusekko 3. Breed. Sci. 51:171-177.
6. Nomura, K., S. Kashiwazaki, H. Hibino, T. Inoue, E. Nakata, Y. Tsuzaki, and S. Okuyama. 1996. Biological and serological properties of strains of barley mild mosaic virus. J. Phytopath. 144:103-197.
7. Ordon, F., R. Götz, and W. Friedt. 1993. Genetic stocks resistant to barley mosaic viruses (BaMMV, BaYMV, BaYMV-2) in Germany. Barley Genet. Newsl. 22:46-50.
8. Takahashi, R., I. Hayashi, T. Inouye, I. Moriya, and C. Hirao. 1973. Studies on resistance to yellow mosaic disease in barley. I. Tests for varietal reactions and genetic analysis of resistance to the disease. Ber. Ohara Inst. landw. Biol., Okayama Univ. 16:1-17.
R.G. Timian. 1976. Barley Genet. Newsl. 6:125.
J.D. Franckowiak and T. Konishi. 1996. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:193.
T. Konishi and J.D. Franckowiak. 2002. Barley Genet. Newsl. 32:96-97.