International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 619, Bracteatum-a, bra-a
Stock number: BGS 619
Locus name: Bracteatum-a
Locus symbol: bra-a
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (4, 5).
Located in chromosome 7H (3); bra-001 is based on linkage drag with the ant1 (anthocyanin-less 1) locus (3); bra-a.001 is associated with SNP markers 1_0056 to 2_0385 (positions 51.93 to 152.29 cM) in 7H bins 04 to 09 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW067 (2).
Leaf-like structures or bracts develop from the rachis slightly below the rachis node at which the spikelets are attached (1). The bract associated with the lowest spikelet is always the largest and the bracts become progressively smaller toward the tip of the spike (5). Development of the bracts is poor in the Bowman backcross-derived line for bra-a.001, BW067 (3). Compared to Bowman, plants of BW067 headed 5 to 12 days later and were 3/4 normal height, 65 vs. 90 cm. Leaf blades were slightly shorter and narrower, peduncles were 1/3 to 1/2 normal length, and the number of kernels per spike was reduced, 16 vs. 22. BW067 had slightly shorter rachis internodes, 3.9 vs. 4.5 mm. Its kernels were relatively thin, 3.5 vs. 3.9 mm, and weighed up to 30% less than those of Bowman. Grain yields of BW067 were about half normal (3).
Origin of mutant:
A neutron induced mutant in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (4, 5).
bra-a.001 (NGB 114318, GSHO 1693), bra-a.003 (NGB 114320) in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
bra-a.001 (NGB 114318, GSHO 1693) in Bonus; bra-a.001 in Bowman (PI 483237)*6 (GSHO 2183); bra-a.001 in Bowman*7 (BW067, NGB 20475).
1. Bossinger, G., U. Lundqvist, W. Rohde, and F. Salamini. 1992. Genetics of plant development in barley. p. 989-1017. In L. Munck, K. Kirkegaard, and B. Jensen (eds.). Barley Genetics VI. Proc. Sixth Int. Barley Genet. Symp., Helsingborg, 1991. Munksgaard Int. Publ., Copenhagen.
2. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Gustafsson, Å., A. Hagberg, U. Lundqvist, and G. Persson. 1969. A proposed system of symbols for the collection of barley mutants at Svalöv. Hereditas 62:409-414.
5. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
U. Lundqvist and J. D. Franckowiak. 2002. Barley Genet. Newsl. 32:120.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:196.