International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 180, Single internode dwarf 1, sid1
Stock number: BGS 180
Locus name: Single internode dwarf 1
Locus symbol: sid1
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Node-less described by Schmalz (7) and Gaul (4).
Node-less dwarf = nls (9).
Monofactorial recessive (5, 8).
Located in chromosome 4HL (8); sid1.b is over 13.2 cM distal from the glf3 (glossy leaf 3) locus (5, 8); sid1.b is over 29.5 cM proximal from the Kap1 (Hooded lemma 1) locus (8. 9); sid1.a is associated with SNP markers 1_0262 to 2_0072 (positions 76.26 to 95.92 cM) in 4H bin 06 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW849 (1); sid1.b is associated with SNP markers 1_0309 to 2_0358 (positions 110.93 to 128.85 cM) in 4H bins 07 to 09 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW850 (1); sid1.c associated with a large segment of 4H in the Bowman backcross-derived line BW851 (1), likely in 4H bin 07.
All stem nodes are crowded together close to the secondary root system and the stem is formed from a single elongated terminal internode (4, 7). The mature plant has several culms, each having only a single elongated internode, the peduncle (9). Some of the elongated peduncles are much longer than normal. Plants are relatively weak and partially sterile, and have very lax spikes (2). The expression of mutant traits is less extreme in sid1.b plants, tillers often have two elongated internodes, fertility is better, and the spike is not as lax (2). The peduncle was approximately 80% of plant height in the Bowman backcross derived lines for sid1.a (BW849) and sid1.b (BW850). Plant height of BW849 was about 2/3 that of Bowman while BW850 was 85% as tall. Compared to Bowman, kernels of sid1 mutants were thinner and 10 to 15% lighter and grain yield ranged from less than 1/3 to nearly 1/2 (2).
Origin of mutant:
An X-ray induced mutant in Akashinriki (OUJ659, PI 467400) from Dr. Ohta (9).
sid1.a (R101, OUX052, GSHO 2477) in Akashinriki (OUJ659, PI 467400) (5); sid1.b (GSHO 2478) in Birgitta (NGB 14667, NGB 1494, NSGC 1870) (3); sid1.c (FN249, GSHO 3685) in Steptoe (CIho 15229) (6).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
sid1.a (GSHO 2477) in Akashinriki; sid1.b in (GSHO 2478) in Birgitta; sid1.a in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 2024, BW849, NGB 22286); sid1.b in Bowman*8 (GSHO 2025, BW850, NGB 22287); sid1.c from Steptoe mutant FN249 in Bowman*1 (BW851, NGB 22288)
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J. (Unpublished).
3. Franckowiak, J.D. 1992. Allelism tests among selected semidwarf barleys. Barley Genet. Newsl. 21:17-23.
4. Gaul, H. 1964. Mutations in plant breeding. Rad. Bot. 4:155-232.
5. Hayashi, J., T. Konishi, I. Moriya, and R. Takahashi. 1984. Inheritance and linkage studies in barley. VI. Ten mutant genes located on chromosomes 1 to 7, except 3. Ber. Ohara Inst. landw. Biol., Okayama Univ. 18:227-250.
6. Kleinhofs, A. (Unpublished).
7. Schmalz, H. 1962. Makromutationen bei Sommergeste und Sommerweizen. Züchter 32:133-146.
8. Takahashi, R., J. Hayashi, T. Konishi, and I. Moriya. 1975. Linkage analysis of barley mutants. Barley Genet. Newsl. 5:56-60.
9. Takahashi, R., and I. Moriya. 1973. Two new mutant genes on chromosome 4. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:65.
J.D. Franckowiak and T. Konishi. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:203.
J.D. Franckowiak and U. Lundqvist. 2013. Barley Genet. Newsl. 43:97-98.