International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 584, Praematurum-h, mat-h
Stock number: BGS 584
Locus name: Praematurum-h
Locus symbol: mat-h
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Praematurum-36 = mat-36 (3).
Monofactorial recessive (2).
Located in chromosome 4HL(1); mat-h.36 is associated with SNP markers 2_1130 to 1_1019 (positions 175.48 to 183.54 cM) in 4H bins 12 to 13 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW513 (1).
Early heading mutants at the mat-h locus show a drastic increase in earliness (heading 6 days earlier than the parents) under field cultivation in Sweden (3, 5). When grown under controlled environmental conditions, mutants are photo- and thermoperiod sensitive and have a pronounced long-day response (3). The Bowman backcross-derived line, BW513, line with the mat-h.36 mutant is similar to BW509 line with the mat-d.14 mutant in terms of both chromosomal SNP markers retained and phenotype attributes (1, 2). Plants with narrow leaves were found in progeny from the cross of the mat-h.36 stock to Bowman. An error may have been made during backcrossing because the SNP molecular markers retained in chromosome 4HL of BW513 are identical to those retain in BW509 (see BGS 580) (1). BW513 and Bowman plants were phenotypically similar except for reduce leaf blade width and slightly lower grain yields (2).
Origin of mutant:
An ethylene imine induced mutant in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (3).
mat-h.36 (NGB 110036, GSHO 1794), -h.935 (NGB 117466) in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (3, 4).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
mat-h.36 (NGB 110036, GSHO 1794) in Bonus; mat-h.36 in Bowman (PI 483237)*2 (GSHO 2286); mat-h.36 in Bowman*7 (BW513, NGB 20741).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2010. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Gustafsson, Å., I. Dormling, and U. Lundqvist. 1982. Gene, genotype and barley climatology. Biol. Zent. Bl. 101:763-782.
4. Gustafsson, Å., A. Hagberg, U. Lundqvist, and G. Persson. 1969. A proposed system of symbols for the collection of barley mutants at Svalöv. Hereditas 62:409-414.
5. Lundqvist, U. 1991. Swedish mutation research in barley with plant breeding aspects. A historical review. p. 135-148. In Plant Mutation Breeding for Crop Improvement. Proc. Int. Symp. Vienna, 1990. Int. Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna.
6. Lundqvist, U. 1992. Coordinator's report: Earliness genes. Barley Genet. Newsl. 21:127-129.
7. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:511.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2012. Barley Genet. Newsl. 42:662.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2015. Barley Genet. Newsl. 45:212-213.