International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 463, Gigas 1, gig1
Stock number: BGS 463
Locus name: Gigas 1
Locus symbol: gig1
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Female sterile = sf (2, 4).
Gigas = gig (6).
Monofactorial recessive (2).
Location in chromosome 2H is possible (3, 4, 7, 8); a possible linkage drag association with the Gth1 (Toothed lemma 1) locus in chromosome 2H was noted (1).
Culm length and diameter, leaves, spikes, and glumes are greater than the control; awns are shorter than the control; leaves are dark green; spikes are lax; spikes, culms, and leaf sheaths have a heavy wax coating (5). Anther development is good, but the stigma has few hairs and seed set is poor (2, 5). In the Bowman backcross-derived line, plant height is normal and plants appear normal except spikelets are abnormal and the wax coating is heavy. The lemma is large and long, awns are 1/2 normal length, stigma hairs are few, and selfed seed set is 10 to 15%. Hand pollination can increase seed set.
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant in a population from the cross Montcalm//Galore/Daples (GB96) (2); an X-ray induced mutant in Tochigi Golden Melon (OUJ808) (5, 6).
gig1.a (Kmut 72, GSHO 1650) in Tochigi Golden Melon (OUJ808) (5, 6); gig1.b in Montcalm//Galore/Daples (2, 6).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
gig1.a (GSHO 1650) in Tochigi Golden Melon; gig1.a in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 1924, BW381, NGB 20620).
1. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. Notes on linkage drag in Bowman backcross derived lines of spring barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:63-70.
2. Harvey, B.L., E. Reinbergs, and B.H. Somaroo. 1968. Inheritance of female sterility in barley. Can. J. Plant Sci. 48:417-418.
3. Shim, J.W., E. Furst, and T. Tsuchiya. 1983. Primary trisomic analysis of a mutant "gigas" in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 13:49.
4. Shim, J.W., A. Shahla, and T. Tsuchiya. 1984. Additional information on the primary trisomic analysis of sf (female sterile or gigas) in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 14:42-43.
5. Tsuchiya, T. 1962. Annual report on breeding of malting barley. Kihara Inst. Biol. Res., Japan. 28 p. with 8 tables, Mimeo.
6. Tsuchiya, T. 1975. Allelic relationships of some morphological and chlorophyll mutants in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 5:64-67.
7. Tsuchiya, T., and R.L. Haines. 1975. Trisomic analysis of nine mutant genes in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 5:67-69.
8. Wang, S. 1992. Telotrisomic analysis of the mutant gigas (gig) in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 21:76-77.
T. Tsuchiya. 1985. Barley Genet. Newsl. 15:88 as BGS 460, Gigas, gig.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:410.