International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 391, Desynapsis 12, des12
Stock number: BGS 391
Locus name: Desynapsis 12
Locus symbol: des12
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Desynapsis s = des,,s (3, 5).
Monofactorial recessive (3, 5).
Located in chromosome 3H (1); des12.s is associated with SNP markers 2_0742 to 2_1277 (positions 29.05 to 173.82 cM) in 3H bins 06 to 11 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW232 (1).
The chromosomes are paired during pachytene and undergo desynapsis during diplotene and diakinesis. The average degree of desynapsis is 4.7, ranging from 7 ring bivalents (d = 0) to 1 rod bivalent plus 12 univalents (d = 13). Ovule fertility is about 35% (4). Under greenhouse conditions, selfed set was about 50% for main tillers of the Bowman backcross-derived line for des12.s, BW232, but later tillers had much higher levels of seed set (2).
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant in Betzes (PI 129430) (5).
des12.s (GSHO 603) in Betzes (PI 129430) (3, 5). The mutant des.w in Betzes was recorded as an allele at the des12 locus (3, 5), but seed set of the Bowman backcross derived line for des.w, BW233, is less than 10% and the SNP markers retained are largely in 7H (1, 2).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
des12.s (GSHO 603) in Betzes; des12.s in Bowman (PI 483237)*4 (BW232, NGB 22059). The des.w mutant in Betzes is not an allele at the des12 locus (see above), but there is a Bowman backcross-derived stock, des.w in six crosses to Bowman (BW233, NGB 22060).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Hernandez-Soriano, J.M., and R.T. Ramage. 1973. Coordinator's report: Desynaptic genes. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:91.
4. Hernandez-Soriano, J.M., and R.T. Ramage. 1974. BGS 391, Normal vs. desynapsis 12, des12. Barley Genet. Newsl. 4:140.
5. Ramage, R.T., and J.M. Hernandez-Soriano. 1972. Desynaptic genes in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 2:65-68.
J.M. Hernandez-Soriano and R.T. Ramage. 1974. Barley Genet. Newsl. 4:140.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:339.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:133.