International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 390, Desynapsis 11, des11
Stock number: BGS 390
Locus name: Desynapsis 11
Locus symbol: des11
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Desynapsis r = des,,r (3, 5).
Monofactorial recessive (3, 5).
Located in chromosome 3HL (1); des11.r is associated with SNP markers 2_0931 to 2_0168 (positions 104.39 to 173.82 cM) in 3H bins 07 to 11 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW231 (1).
The chromosomes are paired during pachytene and undergo desynapsis during diplotene and diakinesis. The average degree of desynapsis is 5.7, ranged from 6 ring bivalents plus one rod bivalent (d = 1) to 2 rod bivalents plus 10 univalents (d = 12). Ovule fertility is about 40% (4). When crossed with the non-allelic desynaptic mutants des4.d and des5.e, the F1's frequently showed a low degree of desynapsis (up to 3 rod bivalents). When crossed with des7.j, the F1's show a low to medium degree of desynapsis (d = 1.8), ranging from 7 ring bivalents (d = 0) to 4 ring bivalents plus 4 rod bivalents (d = 5), and there are lagging chromosomes and micronuclei at telophase I (4). Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for des11.r, BW231, were slightly taller than Bowman and kernels often weighed slightly more. Grain yields of BW231 were 20% lower than those for Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant in Betzes (PI 129430) (5).
des11.r (GSHO 602) in Betzes (PI 129430) (3, 5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
des11.r (GSHO 602) in Betzes; des11.r in Bowman (PI 483237)*6 (BW231, NGB 22058).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Hernandez-Soriano, J.M., and R.T. Ramage. 1973. Coordinator's report: Desynaptic genes. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:91.
4. Hernandez-Soriano, J.M., and R.T. Ramage. 1974. BGS 390, Normal vs. desynapsis 11, des11. Barley Genet. Newsl. 4:139.
5. Ramage, R.T., and J.M. Hernandez-Soriano. 1972. Desynaptic genes in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 2:65-68.
J.M. Hernandez-Soriano and R.T. Ramage. 1974. Barley Genet. Newsl. 4:139.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:338.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:132.