International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 393, Desynapsis 14, des14
Stock number: BGS 393
Locus name: Desynapsis 14
Locus symbol: des14
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Desynapsis u = des,,u (3, 5).
Monofactorial recessive (3, 5).
Located in chromosome 7H (1); des14.u is associated mainly with SNP markers 1_0838 to 1_0485 (positions 49.53 to 121.90 cM) in 7H bins 04 to 07 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW235 (1).
The chromosomes are paired during pachytene and undergo desynapsis during diplotene and diakinesis. The average degree of desynapsis is 4.8, ranging from 7 ring bivalents (d = 0) to 1 rod bivalent plus 12 univalents (d = 13). Lagging chromosomes and micronuclei are observed frequently at telophase I. Ovule fertility is about 35% (4). The selfed seed set of the Bowman backcross-derived line for des14.u, BW235, was 40 to 50% and it yielded about half as much grain as Bowman. Kernels of BW235 averaged 5 to 10% lighter than those of Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant in Betzes (PI 129430) (4).
des14.u (GSHO 605) in Betzes (PI 129430) (3, 5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
des14.u (GSHO 605) in Betzes; des14.u in Bowman (PI 483237)*6 (BW235, NGB 22062).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Hernandez-Soriano, J.M., and R.T. Ramage. 1973. Coordinator's report: Desynaptic genes. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:91.
4. Hernandez-Soriano, J.M., and R.T. Ramage. 1974. BGS 393, Normal vs. desynapsis 14, des14. Barley Genet. Newsl. 4:142.
5. Ramage, R.T., and J.M. Hernandez-Soriano. 1972. Desynaptic genes in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 2:65-68.
J.M. Hernandez-Soriano and R.T. Ramage. 1974. Barley Genet. Newsl. 4:142.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:341.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:135.