International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 151, Chlorina seedling 9, fch9
Stock number: BGS 151
Locus name: Chlorina seedling 9
Locus symbol: fch9
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Chlorina k = fk (4).
Chlorina 9 = f9 (3, 5).
Monofactorial recessive (4).
Located in chromosome 4HS (4); fch9.k is localized over 22.7 cM distal from the Kap1 (Hooded lemma 1) locus (4); fch9.k is associated with SNP markers 1_0319 and 2_1359 (positions 11.87 and 27.52 cM) in 4H bin 02 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW365 (1), in 4H bin 02.
Seedling leaves are yellow green in color, and the yellow green color persists until near maturity (4). Field grown plants are stunted and maturity is delayed (2). Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for fch9.k, BW365, headed 8 to 15 days later than Bowman. Plant height for BW365 varied over trials from slightly taller to slightly shorter and kernels per spike were equal to or greater than the values for Bowman. Kernels were slightly smaller and weighed 10 to 40% less than those of Bowman. Grain yields for BW365 averaged about 2/3 those for Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
An X-ray induced mutant in Ko A (OUJ215, PI 383935) (4).
fch9.k (Kmut 174, OUM288, GSHO 571) in Ko A (OUJ215, PI 383935) (4).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
fch9.k (GSHO 571) in Ko A; fch9.k in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 1996); fch9.k in Bowman*9 (BW365, NGB 20604).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Robertson, D.W. 1971. Recent information of linkage and chromosome mapping. p. 220-242. In R.A. Nilan (ed.) Barley Genetics II. Second Int. Barley Genet. Symp., Pullman, WA, 1969. Washington State Univ. Press, Pullman.
4. Takahashi, R., J. Hayashi, T. Konishi, and I. Moriya. 1972. Inheritance and linkage studies in barley. V. Locating seven new mutant genes. Ber. Ohara Inst. landw. Biol., Okayama Univ. 15:147-168.
5. Tsuchiya, T., D.A. Jensen, and T.E. Haus. 1973. Allelism tests of some chlorina mutant genes of barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:71-72.
T.E. Haus and T. Tsuchiya. 1971. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:137.
J.D. Franckowiak and T. Konishi. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:178.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:92.