International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 141, Reaction to barley yellow mosaic virus 5 (BaYMV), rym5
Stock number: BGS 141
Locus name: Reaction to barley yellow mosaic virus 5 (BaYMV)
Locus symbol: rym5
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Resistance to BaYMV = Ym (3, 5, 7).
Resistance to BaYMV 5 = ym5 (4).
Resistance to BaYMV 5 = rym5 (8).
Monofactorial recessive (4).
Located in chromosome 3HL (7); rym5.h is approximately 2.5 cM distal from the Est1 (Esterase 1) locus (4, 7); flanked by molecular markers MWG838 and MWG010A at distances of 0.8 and 1.3 cM, respectively, in 3H bin 16 (1).
Plants with the rym5.h allele are resistant to Japanese strains I and II of BaYMV, but susceptible to Japanese strain III of BaYMV (2). In Germany, plants with rym5.h are resistant to strains BaYMV-1 and BaYMV-2 (6, 10). Although plants with rym5.h are resistant to BaMMV (barley mild mosaic virus) in Germany (6, 10), they are susceptible to the Japanese strain BaMMV-Na (6, 9).
Origin of mutant:
Natural occurrence in Mokusekko 3 (OUC627, PI 420938) (4).
rym5.h in Mokusekko 3 (PI 420938) (4).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
rym5.h in Misato Golden (OUJ848) from Mokusekko 3 (4).
1. Graner, A., S. Streng, A. Kellermann, A. Schiemann, E. Bauer, R. Waugh, B. Pello, and F. Ordon. 1999. Molecular mapping and genetic fine-structure of the rym5 locus encoding resistance to different strains of the barley yellow mosaic virus complex. Theor. Appl. Genet. 98:285-290.
2. Kashiwazaki, S., K. Ogawa, T. Usugi, T. Omura, and T. Tsuchizaki. 1989. Characterization of several strains of barley yellow mosaic virus. Ann. Phytopath. Soc. Japan 55:16-25.
3. Kawada, N., and M. Tsuru. 1987. Genetics and breeding of resistance to barley yellow mosaic virus. p. 651-657. In S. Yasuda and T. Konishi (eds.) Barley Genetics V. Proc. Fifth Int. Barley Genet. Symp., Okayama, Japan. 1986. Maruzen Co., Ltd., Okayama Branch, Okayama, Japan.
4. Konishi, T., T. Ban, Y. Iida, and R. Yoshimi. 1986. Genetic analysis of disease resistance to all strains of BaYMV in a Chinese barley landrace, Mokusekko 3. Theor. Appl. Genet. 94:871-877.
5. Konishi, T., and R. Kaiser. 1991. Genetic difference in barley yellow mosaic virus resistance between Mokusekko 3 and Misato Golden. Japan. J. Breed. 41:499-505.
6. Konishi, T. and R. Kaiser-Alexnat. 2000. Reaction of barley accessions to BaYMV and BaMMV in Japan, compared with data in Germany. Barley Genet. Newsl. 30:58-61.
7. Konishi, T., N. Kawada, H. Yoshida, and K. Soutome. 1989. Linkage relationships between two loci for the barley yellow mosaic resistance of Mokusekko 3 and esterase enzymes in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). Japan. J. Breed. 39:423-430.
8. Miyazaki, C., E. Osanai, K. Saeki, K. Ito, T. Konishi, K. Sato, and A. Saito. 2001. Mapping of quantitative trait loci conferring resistance to barley yellow mosaic virus in a Chinese barley landrace Mokusekko 3. Breeding Science 51:171-177.
9. Nomura, K., S. Kashiwazaki, H. Hibino, T. Inoue, E. Nakata, Y. Tsuzaki, and S. Okuyama. 1996. Biological and serological properties of strains of barley mild mosaic virus. J. Phytopath. 144:103-197.
10. Ordon, F., R. Götz, and W. Friedt. 1993. Genetic stocks resistant to barley mosaic viruses (BaMMV, BaYMV, BaYMV-2) in Germany. Barley Genet. Newsl. 22:46-50.
T. Konishi and J.D. Franckowiak. 2002. Barley Genet. Newsl. 32:90-91.