International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 386, Desynapsis 3, des3
Stock number: BGS 386
Locus name: Desynapsis 3
Locus symbol: des3
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (4, 5).
Located in chromosome 2H or 5HL (1); des3.c is associated with SNP markers 1_0796 to 2_0528 (positions 95.53 to 118.80 cM) in 2H bins 07 to 08 and with SNP markers 1_0104 to 2_0644 (positions 223.60 to 266.0 cM) in 5H bins 11 to 13 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW239 (1).
The chromosomes are paired during the pachytene stage of microsporogenesis, but they undergo desynapsis during diplotene and diakinesis. The degree of desynapsis is 0.9 ± 1.7, ranging from 7 ring bivalents (d = 0) to 4 ring bivalents plus 2 rod bivalents and 2 univalents (d = 4). Ovule fertility ranges from 1% to 33%, much too low to be explained by the low degree of desynapsis observed in microsporocytes (3). Compared to Bowman, plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for des3.c, BW239, headed three days later and had about three more kernels per spike. Kernel weights were often slight lighter than those of Bowman. The grain yield of BW239 was about 1/2 that of Bowman (2). Seed set for BW239 was 20 to 40% when grown under greenhouse conditions, but late tillers had very low or no seed set (2).
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant in Betzes (PI 129430) (4, 5).
des3.c (GSHO 594) in Betzes (PI 129430) (4, 5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
des3.c (GSHO 594) in Betzes; des3.c in Bowman (PI 483237)*6 (BW239, NGB 22066).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Hernandez-Soriano, J.M. 1973. Desynaptic mutants in Betzes barley. M.S. Thesis. Univ. of Arizona, Tucson.
4. Ramage, R.T., and J.M. Hernandez-Soriano. 1971. Desynaptic genes in Betzes barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:38.
5. Ramage, R.T., and J.M. Hernandez-Soriano. 1972. Desynaptic genes in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 2:65-68.
J.M. Hernandez-Soriano, R.T. Ramage, and R.F. Eslick. 1973. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:126.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:334.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2013. Barley Genet. Newsl. 43:140.