International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 265, Necrotic leaf spot 3, nec3
Stock number: BGS 265
Locus name: Necrotic leaf spot 3
Locus symbol: nec3
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Necrotic leaf spot 3 = nec3a (4, 5, 9).
Necrotic leaf spot 3 = nec3b (5, 9).
Monofactorial recessive (4, 7).
Located in chromosome 6HS (4, 7); nec3.d is about 29.2 cM distal from the rob1 (orange lemma 1) locus (2, 4, 6); nec3.d is about 16.7 cM distal from the msg36 (male sterile genetic 36) locus (2); nec3.d is associated with SNP markers 1_00616 to 1_0882 (position 70.15 cM) in 6H bin 05 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW629 (1); nec3.e is associated with SNP markers 1_0427 to 1_0494 (positions 56.64 to 70.15 cM) in 6H bin 05 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW630 (1), in 6H bin 05.
Tan or brown necrotic blotches develop on the leaf sheath and blade prior to heading and persist to maturity (4, 5). Plants homozygous for nec3.d develop brown blotches having irregular margins. Plants homozygous for nec3.e develop large tan or faded blotches having distinct margins. After maturation, plants expressing the nec3.d gene can be identified easily by brown blotches on the leaves, but those expressing the nec3.e gene are difficult to identify (3). In the Bowman backcross-derived lines, vigor is reduced more in nec3.e plants than in nec3.d ones. Keiša et al. (8) suggested that the nec3 mutations affect expression of genes involved in abiotic stress response. Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for nec3.d, BW629, were slightly taller than Bowman, but their kernels weighed slightly less. Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for nec3.e, BW630, were slightly shorter than Bowman, but had 2 to 3 more kernels per spike. The kernels of BW630 averaged 10 to15% lighter than those of Bowman, 5.4 vs. 5.8 mg (3).
Origin of mutant:
An X-ray induced mutant in Proctor (PI 280420) (4, 7).
nec3.d (1339/62, GSHO 1330) in Proctor (PI 280420) (4, 7); nec3.e (1558/74, GSHO 2423) in Villa (PI 399506) (5); nec3.l (FN362, GSHO 3605) and nec3.m (FN363, GSHO 3606) in Steptoe (CIho 15229) (8).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
nec3.d (GSHO 1330) in Proctor; nec3.e (GSHO 2423) in Villa; nec3.d in Bowman (PI 483237)*4 (GSHO 2065); nec3.d in Bowman*6 (BW629, NGB 22195); nec3.e in Bowman*3 (GSHO 2066); nec3.e in Bowman*6 (BW630, NGB 22196).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Falk, D.E., M.J. Swartz, and K.J. Kasha. 1980. Linkage data with genes near the centromere of barley chromosome 6. Barley Genet. Newsl. 10:13-16.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Fischbeck, G., and H. Häuser. 1976. Research notes. Barley Genet. Newsl. 6:28-29.
5. Fischbeck, G., and H. Häuser. 1978. Cytogenetic studies of some induced barley mutants. Barley Genet. Newsl. 8:36-37.
6. Häuser, H., and G. Fischbeck. 1980. Genetic analysis of induced mutations. Barley Genet. Newsl. 10:30-31.
7. Häuser, J., and G. Fischbeck. 1976. Untersuchungen zur Lokalisierung einiger Mutationen von Gerste (Hordeum sativum). Z. Pflanzenzücht. 77:269-280.
8. Keiša, A., R. Brueggeman, T. Drader, A. Kleinhofs, and N. Rostoks. 2010. Transcriptome analysis of the barley nec3 mutant reveals a potential link with abiotic stress response related signaling pathways. Environ. Exper. Biol. 8:1-16.
9. Søgaard, B., and P. von Wettstein-Knowles. 1987. Barley: genes and chromosomes. Carlsberg Res. Comm. 52:123-196.
J.D. Franckowiak and U. Lundqvist. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:245.
J.D. Franckowiak and A. Kleinhofs. 2013. Barley Genet. Newsl. 43:116-117.