International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 144, Slender dwarf 5, sld5
Stock number: BGS 144
Locus name: Slender dwarf 5
Locus symbol: sld5
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Indian Dwarf (1, 6).
Slender dwarf-h = sld.h (4).
Monofactorial recessive (1).
Located in chromosome 3HS (2, 4); sld5.h is based on linkage drag with the btr1 (non-brittle rachis 1) locus (4); sld5.h is associated with SNP markers 1_0565 to 2_1381 (positions 29.05 to 157.14 cM) in 3H bins 03 to 10 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW865 (2); likely in 3H bins 04 or 05.
Plants with the sld5.h gene show reduced vigor and have thin grain. Plants are about 2/3 normal height in the XV 2334-6R line and about 1/2 normal in Indian Dwarf accession (1, 4). Seedlings with the sld5.h gene are insensitive to treatment with gibberellic acid (1). The second factor for reduced height in Indian Dwarf may be the Eam5.x (early maturity 5, BGS 348) mutant (3). Compared to Bowman, plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for sld5.h, BW865, were 20 to 30% shorter and headed 3 to 4 days later. Kernels of BW865 were smaller and weighed nearly 20% less (47 vs. 56 mg) than those of Bowman. Grain yields of BW865 were 1/3 to 1/2 of those for Bowman (3).
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant identified as Indian Dwarf (CIho 13994) (1).
sld5.h (DWS1238, GSHO 2483) in XV2334-6R from Indian Dwarf (CIho 13994) (1, 5, 6); Apam Dwarf likely has an allele at the sld5 locus (6).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
sld5.h (GSHO 2483) in XV2334-6R, sld5.h in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 1940, BW865, NGB 22302).
1. Boulger, M.C., R.G. Sears, and W.E. Kronstad. 1982. An investigation of the association between dwarfing sources and gibberellic acid response in barley. p. 550-553. In M.J.C. Asher, R.P. Ellis, A.M. Hayter, and R.N.H. Whitehouse (eds.) Barley Genetics IV. Proc. Fourth Int. Barley Genet. Symp., Edinburgh. Edinburgh Univ. Press, Edinburgh.
2. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. Notes on linkage drag in Bowman backcross derived lines of spring barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:63-70.
5. Franckowiak, J.D., and A. Pecio. 1992. Coordinator’s report: Semidwarf genes. A listing of genetic stocks. Barley Genet. Newsl. 21:116-127.
6. Sears, R.G., W.E. Kronstad, and R.J. Metzger. 1981. Inheritance of dwarf and semidwarf plant height in barley. Crop Sci. 21:828-831.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2002. Barley Genet. Newsl. 32:94.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:90-91.