International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 388, Desynapsis 9, des9
Stock number: BGS 388
Locus name: Desynapsis 9
Locus symbol: des9
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Desynapsis n = des,,n (3, 5).
Monofactorial recessive (3, 5).
Located in chromosome 7HL (1); des9.n is associated mainly with SNP markers 1_0861 to 2_1363 (positions 183.9 to 198.7 cM) in 7H bins 11 to 12 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW249 (1).
The chromosomes are paired during pachytene and undergo desynapsis during diplotene and diakinesis. The average degree of desynapsis is 0.9, ranging from 7 ring bivalents (d = 0) to 5 rod bivalents (d = 5). Ovule fertility is about 90% (4). Compared to Bowman, plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for des9.n, BW249, were 10% shorter and kernels were 10% lighter. Average seed set for BW249 was about 25%. Grain yields of BW249 were 10 to 40% of those for Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant in Betzes (PI 129430) (5).
des9.n (GSHO 600) in Betzes (PI 129430) (3, 5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
des9.n (GSHO 600) in Betzes; des9.n in Bowman (PI 483237)*5 (BW249, NGB 22074).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Hernandez-Soriano, J.M., and R.T. Ramage. 1973. Coordinator's report: Desynaptic genes. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:91.
4. Hernandez-Soriano, J.M., and R.T. Ramage. 1974. BGS 388, Normal vs. desynapsis 9, des9. Barley Genet. Newsl. 4:137.
5. Ramage, R.T., and J.M. Hernandez-Soriano. 1972. Desynaptic genes in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 2:65-68.
J.M. Hernandez-Soriano and R.T. Ramage. 1974. Barley Genet. Newsl. 4:137.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:336.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:131.