International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 266, Erectoides-e, ert-e
Stock number: BGS 266
Locus name: Erectoides-e
Locus symbol: ert-e
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Erectoides-17 = ert-17 (3).
Dense spike = la (5).
Dense spike 9 = l9 (5).
Dense spike 9 = dsp9 (8).
Monofactorial recessive (3, 5, 10).
Located in chromosome 6HL (4, 9, 10), ert-e is about 27.2 cM distal from the xnt5 (xantha seedling 5) locus (4), over 26.9 cM distal from the Aat2 (Aspartate aminotransferase 2) locus (13); ert-e.17 is associated with SNP markers 2_0467 to 2_0733 (positions 169.88 to 180.69 cM) in 6H bin 11 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW307 (1); dsp9.i is associated with SNP markers 1_0645 to 2_1425 (positions 190.39 to 207.0 cM) in 6H bins 11 to 15 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW279 (1).
Spikes are very compact with rachis internode length values from 1.2 to 1.5 mm. Plants are about 2/3 normal height. Partial fertility and reduced vigor are noted among ert-e mutants. The peduncle is very short and spikes often emerge from the side of the flag sheath (9, 11). A large deficiency of mutant plants is frequently noted in segregating populations (9). Spike density decreases greatly when plants are treated with gibberellic acid (GA3) as the flag leaf emerges (12). The mutant ert-e.17 is allelic to mutant dsp9.i (dense spike 9, see BGS 258) (2). Compared to Bowman, plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for ert-e.17, BW307, were about 2/3 as tall and had very short rachis internodes, 2.0 vs. 4.4 mm. Peduncles were 3/4 normal length, kernels were10 to 20% lighter, and grain yields were 1/3 to 1/2 those of Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
An X-ray induced mutant in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (3); an ethyl methanesulfonate induced mutant in Akashinriki (OUJ659, PI 467400) (5).
ert-e.17 (NGB112619, GSHO 477), -e.65 (NGB 112664) in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (2); ert-e.94 (NGB 112693), -e.143 (NGB 112742) in Bonus, -e.331 (NGB112846), -e.396 (NGB 114150) in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (11); dsp9.i (OUM113) in Akashinriki (OUJ659, PI 467400) (5); dsp9.j (OUM106), dsp9.k (OUM107), dsp9.l (OUM115), dsp9.m (OUM118, GSHO 1774) in Akashinriki (7).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
ert-e.17 (NGB 112619, GSHO 477) in Bonus; ert-e.17 in Bowman (PI 483237)*6 (GSHO 2091); ert-e.17 in Bowman*7 (BW307, NGB 22103); dsp9.i (GSHO 1774) in Akashinriki; dsp9.i in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 2090, BW279, NGB 20563).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Hagberg, A., Å. Gustafsson, and L. Ehrenberg. 1958. Sparsely contra densely ionizing radiations and the origin of erectoid mutants in barley. Hereditas 44:523-530.
4 Hagberg, A., G. Persson, and A. Wiberg. 1963. Induced mutations in the improvement of self-pollinated crops. p. 105-124. In E. Åkerberg and A. Hagberg (eds.) Recent Plant Breeding Research. Svalöf 1946-1961. Almqvist & Wiksell, Stockholm.
5. Konishi, T. 1973. Genetic analyses of EMS-induced mutants in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:28-31.
6. Konishi, T. 1978. New linkage data on chromosome 6 of barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 8:71-72.
7. Konishi, T. (Unpublished).
8. Konishi, T., and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. BGS 258, Dense spike 9, dsp9. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:239.
9. Persson, G. 1969. An attempt to find suitable genetic markers for the dense ear loci in barley I. Hereditas 62:25-96.
10. Persson, G., and A. Hagberg. 1962. Linkage studies with the erectoides loci. Barley Newsl. 5:46-47.
11. Persson, G., and A. Hagberg. 1969. Induced variation in a quantitative character in barley. Morphology and cytogenetics of erectoides mutants. Hereditas 61:115-178.
12. Stoy, V., and A. Hagberg. 1967. Effects of growth regulators on ear density mutants in barley. Hereditas 58:359-384.
13. Yoshimi, R., and T. Konishi. 1995. Linkage analysis of several isozyme loci in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:35-37.
Revised as BGS 258:
T. Konishi and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. BGS 258, Dense spike 9, dsp9. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:239.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:246.
J.D. Franckowiak and U. Lundqvist. 2007. Barley Genet. Newsl. 37:257-258.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2013. Barley Genet. Newsl. 43:118-119.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2017. Barley Genet. Newsl. 47:109-110.