International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 269, High lysine 6, lys6
Stock number: BGS 269
Locus name: High lysine 6
Locus symbol: lys6
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (1, 4).
Located in chromosome 6H (4); lys6.i is associated with SNP markers 1_0061 to 1_0040 (positions 70.15 to 107.26 cM) in 6H bins 05 to 07 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW498 (2).
At the hard dough stage, kernels homozygous for the lys6.i gene develop a depression near the center of the lemma, which becomes progressively more distinct as the kernels mature. Mutant plants produce grain that has a 12% increase in lysine content (1). Shrunken endosperm and high lysine content have a pleiotropic association in stocks homozygous for the lys6.i gene (1, 4). Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for lys6.i, BW498, were similar to Bowman plants, but kernels were lighter (43 vs. 59 mg) and test weights were 20% lower. Grain yields of BW498 were about 60% of those for Bowman (3).
Origin of mutant:
A gamma-ray induced mutant in Bomi Abed (NGB 5096, PI 43371) (1).
lys6.i (Risø 527, GSHO 1786) in Bomi Abed (NGB 5096 PI 43371) (1, 5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
lys6.i (GSHO 1786) in Bomi Abed; lys6.i in Bowman (PI 483237)*3 (GSHO 2077), lys6.i in Bowman*6 (BW498, NGB 20726).
1. Doll, H. 1976. Genetic studies of high lysine barley mutants. p. 542-546. In H. Gaul (ed.) Barley Genetics III. Proc. Third Int. Barley Genet. Symp., Garching, 1975. Verlag Karl Thiemig, München.
2. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Jensen, J. 1979. Chromosomal location of one dominant and four recessive high-lysine genes in barley mutants. Vol. 1. p. 89-96. In Seed Protein Improvement in Cereals and Grain Legumes. Proc. Int. Symp., Neuherberg, Germany, 1978. Int. Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna.
5. Jensen, J., and H. Doll. 1979. Gene symbols for barley high-lysine mutants. Barley Genet. Newsl. 9:33-37.
J.D. Franckowiak and U. Lundqvist. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:249.
J.D. Franckowiak and U. Lundqvist. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:114.