International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 221, White streak 5, wst5
Stock number: BGS 221
Locus name: White streak 5
Locus symbol: wst5
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (4.
Located in chromosome 1HL (3); wst5.c is about 34.5 cM distal from the nec1 (necrotic leaf spot 1) locus (2, 3, 4), wst5.c is about 21.7 cM proximal from the Blp1 (Black lemma and pericarp 1) locus (2, 3, 5). wst5.a is associated in chromosome 1HL with SNP markers 2_0780 to 1_1509 (positions 154.89 to 199.04 cM) in 1H bins 12 to 14 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW914 (1), likely in 1H bin 12.
White streaks with poorly defined margins may develop on the foliage, but expression is influenced by environment and possibly genetic background. Some environmental conditions cause the plants to be nearly albinotic from the seedling stage until heading when the plants turn green; while under other conditions the streaks seem absent (4).
Origin of mutant:
A mutant induced by combined treatment with gamma-rays and diethyl sulfate of Carlsberg II (NGB 5085, CIho 10114) (5).
wst5.e (Mutant no 10, GSHO 591) in Carlsberg II (NGB 5085, CIho 10114) (3).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
wst5.e (GSHO 591) in Carlsberg II; wst5.e in Bowman (PI 483237) (GSHO 2053), wst5.e in Bowman*2 (BW914, NGB 22345),
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Jensen, J. 1978. Location of the eceriferum locus cer-zi on barley chromosome 5. Barley Genet. Newsl. 8:59-60.
3. Jensen, J. 1992. Coordinator's report: Chromosome 5. Barley Genet. Newsl. 21:89-92.
4. Jensen, J., and J.H. Jørgensen. 1973. Locating some genes on barley chromosome 5. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:25-27.
5. Nielsen, G., H. Johansen, and J. Jensen. 1983. Localization on barley chromosome 5 of the locus Pgd2 coding for phosphogluconate dehydrogenase. Barley Genet. Newsl. 13:57-59.
J. Jensen. 1981. Barley Genet. Newsl. 11:100.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:219.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2016. Barley Genet. Newsl. 46:73.