International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 40, Premature ripe 1, pmr1
Stock number: BGS 40
Locus name: Premature ripe 1
Locus symbol: pmr1
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Premature ripe = pmr (4).
Monofactorial recessive (3).
Located in chromosome 7HS (4); pmr1.a is based on linkage drag with the Lga1 (Long glume awn 1) locus (3); near the centromere (6, 7); pmr1.a is associated with SNP markers 1_1014 to 2_0824 (positions 80.65 to 146.97 cM) in 7H bins 06 to 08 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW645 (1).
The prm1 gene induces plants to start dying about two weeks after heading. Seedlings are slightly pale green in color and plants are shorter than normal sibs. The lighter shade of green persists until senescence of the plants begins. Premature dying of the plants caused rapid straw collapse and very thin grain (3). Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for pmr1.a, BW645, were slightly shorter and headed about three days later than Bowman plants. Kernels of BW645 were thin (2.96 vs. 3.82 mm in diameter) and weighed about half those of Bowman. Grain yields of BW645 ranged from almost none to 30% those of Bowman (3).
Origin of mutant:
A sodium azide induced mutant in Glenn (CIho 15769) (2).
pmr1.a (DWS1069, GSHO 2429) in Glenn (CIho 15769) (5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
pmr1.a (GSHO 2429) in Glenn, pmr1.a in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 3434, BW645, NGB 22210).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Faue, A.C. 1987. Chemical mutagenesis as a breeding tool for barley. M.S. Thesis. North Dakota State Univ., Fargo.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. Notes on linkage drag in Bowman backcross derived lines of spring barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:63-70.
5. Franckowiak, J.D., and A. Pecio. 1992. Coordinator’s report: Semidwarf genes. A listing of genetic stocks. Barley Genet. Newsl. 21:116-127.
6. Kleinhofs, A. 1997. Integrating barley RFLP and classical marker maps. Barley Genet. Newsl. 27:105-112.
7. Kudrna, D., A. Kleinhofs, A. Kilian, and J. Soule. 1996. Integrating visual markers with the Steptoe x Morex RFLP map. Vol. 1. p. 343. In A.E. Slinkard, G.J. Scoles, and B.G. Rossnagel (eds.). Barley Genetics VII. Proc. Fifth Int. Oat Conf. & Seventh Int. Barley Genet. Symp., Saskatoon. Univ. Ext. Press, Univ. of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2002. Barley Genet. Newsl. 32:80.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:60.