International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 394, Desynapsis 15, des15
Stock number: BGS 394
Locus name: Desynapsis 15
Locus symbol: des15
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Desynapsis x = des,,x (3, 5).
Monofactorial recessive (3, 5).
Located in chromosome 3HL probably (1); des15.x is associated mainly with SNP markers 1_1436 to 2_1362 (positions 230.99 to 255.13 cM) in 3H bins 15 to 16 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW236 (1).
The chromosomes are paired during pachytene and undergo desynapsis during diplotene and diakinesis. The average degree of desynapsis is 7.5, ranging from 5 ring bivalents plus 2 rod bivalents (d = 2) to 1 rod bivalent plus 12 univalents (d = 13). Ovule fertility is about 25% (4). Under greenhouse conditions, selfed set was about 20% for the Bowman backcross-derived line for des15.x, BW236 (2).
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant in Ingrid (NGB 2671, CIho 10083) (3).
des15.x (GSHO 606) in Ingrid (NGB 2671, CIho 10083) (3, 5). The mutant des.y in Ingrid was reported as an allele at the des15 locus (3, 5), but seed set of the Bowman backcross derived line for des.y, BW237, was 30 to 50% and the SNP markers retained are largely in 2HL (1, 2).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
des15.x (GSHO 606) in Ingrid; des15.x in Bowman (PI 483237)*3 (BW236, NGB 22063). The des.y mutant in Ingrid is not an allele at the des15 locus (see above), but there is a Bowman backcross-derived stock for des.y with five crosses to Bowman (BW237, NGB 22064).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Hernandez-Soriano, J.M., and R.T. Ramage. 1973. Coordinator's report: Desynaptic genes. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:91.
4. Hernandez-Soriano, J.M., and R.T. Ramage. 1975. BGS 394, Normal vs. desynapsis 15, des15. Barley Genet. Newsl. 5:113.
5. Scheuring, J.R., and R.T. Ramage. 1975. Reports from coordinators: Desynaptic genes. Barley Genet. Newsl. 5:86.
J.M. Hernandez-Soriano and R.T. Ramage. 1975. Barley Genet. Newsl. 5:113.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:342.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:136.