International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 396, Shrunken endosperm genetic 6, seg6
Stock number: BGS 396
Locus name: Shrunken endosperm genetic 6
Locus symbol: seg6
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Shrunken endosperm = se6 (5).
Monofactorial recessive (4).
Located in chromosome 3HL (6); seg6.g is mainly associated with SNP markers 1_0762 to 2_0168 (positions 58.56 to 173.82 cM) in 3H bins 04 to 11 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW838, other small polymorph segments were retained in BW838 (1).
Seed size is reduced, but the degree reduction is affected by environment. Seed weights of 25, 50, and 75% of normal are reported for plants grown in the field in Arizona, in the field in Montana, and in the greenhouse in Arizona, USA, respectively (4). Pollen mother cell meiosis and pollen fertility are normal. Seed from seg6.g plants can be used to establish stands under field conditions (6). Light microscopy revealed that seg6 mutants exhibited premature termination of grain filling because of the necrosis and crushing of the chalazal and nucellar projection of the pericarp early during grain filling (2). The kernel weights for the Bowman backcross-derived line for seg6.g, BW838, varied from 35 to 70% of those for Bowman. Kernel length was similar, but BW838 kernels were very thin, 3.14 vs. 3.86 mm. The test weight of BW838 grain was 40% that of Bowman grain and yields ranged from 20 to 50% those of Bowman (3).
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant in Ingrid (NGB2671, CIho 10083) (5).
seg6.f in an unknown hybrid, seg6.g (GSHO 2467) in Ingrid (NGB 2671, CIho 10083) (5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
seg6.g (GSHO 2467) in Ingrid; seg6.g in Bowman (PI 483237)*4 (GSHO 1975, BW838, NGB 22275).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Felker, F.C., D.M. Peterson, and O.E. Nelson. 1985. Anatomy of immature grains of eight maternal effect shrunken endosperm barley mutants. Amer. J. Bot. 72:248-256.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Ramage, R.T. 1983. Chromosome location of shrunken endosperm mutants seg6g and seg8k. Barley Genet. Newsl. 13:64-65.
5. Ramage, R.T., and R.F. Eslick. 1975. BGS 396, Shrunken endosperm, xenia, se6. Barley Genet. Newsl. 5:114.
6. Ramage, R.T., and J.F. Scheuring. 1976. Shrunken endosperm mutants seg6 and seg7. Barley Genet. Newsl. 6:59-60.
R.T. Ramage and R.F. Eslick. 1975. Barley Genet. Newsl. 5:114.
R.T. Ramage and R.F. Eslick. 1976. Barley Genet. Newsl. 6:141.
T. Tsuchiya. 1980. Barley Genet. Newsl. 10:130.
R.T. Ramage. 1983. Barley Genet. Newsl. 13:115.
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:344.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2007. Barley Genet. Newsl. 37:268.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:138-139.