International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 711, Reaction to Pyrenophora teres 3, Rpt3
Stock number: BGS 711
Locus name: Reaction to Pyrenophora teres 3
Locus symbol: Rpt3
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
QTL for resistance to Pyrenophora teres f. teres seedling 2H = QRptts2 (5).
QTL for resistance to NFNB seedling Alexis/Sloop 2H = QNFNBSLR.Al/S-2H (7).
Monofactorial incomplete dominant (1); recessive resistance in CIho 9831 (6).
Located in chromosome 2HS (1, 6, 10); Rpt3 from CIho 9831 is linked to the vrs1 (six rowed spike 1) locus (6); a QTL is proximal from SSR marker HVM36 (7, 9); a QTL is near DArT marker bPb-4877 in 2H bin 04 (5).
The seedling reactions of cultivars with the Rpt3 gene for resistance to Pyrenophora teres f. teres (Ptt) isolates were often scored 1 on a scale where 0 = very resistant and 4 = susceptible (1). Heterozygous individuals showed intermediate reactions of 1 to 3 (1). A QTL for resistance to some Ptt isolates in Kaputar was mapped to chromosome 2H (2). QTL for resistance to Ptt in Franklin (10) and Sloop (7, 10) were mapped to chromosome 2HS. A minor effect QTL in 2HS was detected in CIho 9819 by Manninen et al. (9), but not by Bockelman et al. (1). Other QTL for Ptt resistance reported to be associated with chromosome 2H were summarized by Liu et al. (8).
Origin of mutant:
Natural occurrence in Tennessee Awnless D22-5 (CIho 7584) (1).
Rpt3.d in Tennessee Awnless D22-5 (CIho 7584) (1); possible allelic QTL are present in CIho 9831 (PI 197102) from Japan (6), Steptoe (CIho 15229) from Washington (11), Kaputar (PI 591928) from Mexico (2), Franklin (PI 573729) from Australia (10), Sloop (Norbert/Schooner) from Australia (7, 10), ND11231-12 (Logan sib, PI 643261) from North Dakota (3), TR251 (TR229//AC Oxbow/ND7556) from Canada (5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
Rpt3.d in Tennessee Awnless D22-5 (CIho 7584).
1. Bockelman, H.E., E.L. Sharp, and R.F. Eslick. 1977. Trisomic analysis of genes for resistance to scald and net blotch in several barley cultivars. Can. J. Bot. 55:2142-2148. 2. Cakir, M., S. Gupta, G.J. Platz, G.A. Ablett, R. Loughman, L.C. Emebiri, D. Poulsen, C.D. Li, R.C.M. Lance, N.W. Galeway, M.G.K. Jones, and R. Appels. 2003. Mapping and validation of the genes for resistance to Pyrenophora teres f. teres in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). Aust. J. Agric. Res. 54:1369-1377.
3. Emebiri, L.C., G. Platz, and D.B. Moody. 2005. Disease resistance genes in a doubled haploid population of two-rowed barley segregating for malting quality attributes. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 56:49-56.
4. Friesen T.L., J.D. Faris, Z. Lai, and B.J. Steffenson. 2006. Identification and chromosomal location of major genes for resistance to Pyrenophora teres in a doubled-haploid barley population Genome 49: 855-859.
5. Grewal, T.S., B.G. Rossnagel, C.J. Ponzniak, and G.J. Scoles. 2008. Mapping quantitative trait loci associated with barley net blotch resistance. Theor. Appl. Genet. 116: 529-539.
6. Ho, K.M., A. Tekauz, T.M. Choo, and R.A. Martin. 1996. Genetic studies on net blotch resistance in a barley cross. Can. J. Pl. Sci. 56:715-719.
7. Lehmensiek, A., G.J. Platz, E. Mace, D. Poulsen, and M.W. Sutherland. 2007. Mapping of adult plant resistance to net form of net blotch in three Australian barley populations. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 58:1191-1197.
8. Liu, Z., S.R. Ellwood, R.P. Oliver, and T.L. Friesen. 2011. Pyrenophora teres: profile of an increasingly damaging barley pathogen. Mol. Plant Pathol. 12:1-19.
9. Manninen, O.M., M. Jalli, R. Kalendar, A. Schulman, O. Afanasenko, and J. Robinson. 2006. Mapping of major spot-type and net-type net-blotch resistance genes in Ethiopian barley line CI 9819. Genome 49: 1564-1571.
10. Raman, H., G.J. Platz, K.J. Chalmers, R. Raman, B.J. Read, A.R. Barr, and D.B. Moody. 2003. Mapping of genomic regions associated with net form of net blotch resistance in barley. Australian J. Agric. Res. 54: 1359-1367.
11. Steffenson, B.J., P.M. Hayes, and A. Kleinhofs. 1996. Genetics of seedling and adult plant resistance to net blotch (Pyrenophora teres f. teres) and spot blotch (Cochliobolus sativus) in barley. Theor. Appl. Genet. 92:552-558.
J.D. Franckowiak and G.J. Platz. 2013. Barley Genet. Newsl. 43:208-209.