International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 714, Reaction to Pyrenophora teres 7, Rpt7
Stock number: BGS 714
Locus name: Reaction to Pyrenophora teres 7
Locus symbol: Rpt7
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
QTL for resistance to Pyrenophora teres seedling 4H = Qrpts4 (4).
QTL for resistance to NFNB seedling Alexis/Sloop 4Ha = QNFNBAPR.Al/S-4Ha (2).
QTL for resistance to Pyrenophora teres 4H bins 5 to 7 = Rpt-4H-5-7 (8).
Monofactorial dominant (2, 4).
Located in chromosome 4HL (1, 2, 4, 5); Rpt7.h from Halcyon is near SSR markers Bmac906 and Bmac181 (4, 5); Rpt7.h from OUH602 is near SSR maker Bmag808 and Bmag353 (8); Rpt7.h from TR251 is between SSR marker HVM3 and DArT maker bPb-0098 in bin 06 (1); Rpt7.h from Sloop is near markers HVM3 and Bmag344 (2).
Halcyon exhibited a 3 seedling reaction to isolate NNB50 of Pyrenophora teres f. teres (Ptt) on a 1 to 10 scale (4), while the susceptible parent Sloop had a 9 reading (4). Steptoe had a reading of 4 while Morex had 8 on a 1 to 10 scale (7). TR251 had seedling responses to two Ptt isolates ranging from 2.0 to 2.8 on a 1 to 10 scale, but only with isolate WR858 was a QTL from TR251 detected in 4H (1), Based on adult plant reactions, Sloop was the resistant parent (readings 1 to 4 on a 0 to 9 scale) in the cross to Alexis (readings 6 to 8) (2). However, four other QTL for adult plant resistance were mapped in the Alexis/Sloop cross (2). The QTL for Ptt resistance reported to be associated with chromosome 4H were summarized by Liu et al. (3).
Origin of mutant:
Natural occurrence of in Halcyon (PI 531062, Warboys/Maris Otter) (4), possibly present in Steptoe (CIho 15229) (6, 7), and in TR251 (TR229//AC Oxbow/ND7556) (1). The adult plant resistance from Sloop (Norbert/Schooner) may be at a different locus in the same chromosomal region (2),
Rpt7.h in Halcyon (PI 531062, Warboys/Maris Otter) (4, 5). Other possible alleles are present in Steptoe (CIho 15229, WA 3564/Unitan) (6, 7), Sloop (Norbert/Schooner) (2), TR251 (TR229//AC Oxbow/ND7556) (1), and OUH602 (Hordeum vulgare ssp. spontaneum) (8).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
Rpt7.h in Halcyon; Rpt7.h in Steptoe; Rpt7.h in TR251; adult plant resistance in Sloop (2),
1. Grewal, T.S., B.G. Rossnagel, C.J. Ponzniak, and G.J. Scoles. 2008. Mapping quantitative trait loci associated with barley net blotch resistance. Theor. Appl. Genet. 116: 529-539.
2. Lehmensiek, A., G.J. Platz, E. Mace, D. Poulsen, and M.W. Sutherland. 2007. Mapping of adult plant resistance to net type of net blotch in three Australian barley populations. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 58:1191-1197.
3. Liu, Z., S.R. Ellwood, R.P. Oliver, and T.L. Friesen. 2011. Pyrenophora teres: profile of an increasingly damaging barley pathogen. Molecular Plant Pathology, 12:1-19.
4. Raman, H., G.J. Platz, K.J. Chalmers, R. Raman, B.J. Read, A.R. Barr, and D.B. Moody. 2003. Mapping of genomic regions associated with net form of net blotch resistance in barley. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 54: 1359-1367.
5. Read, B.J., H. Raman, G. McMichael, K.J. Chalmers, G.A. Ablett G.J. Platz, R. Raman, R.K. Genger, W.J.R. Boyd, C.D. Li, C.R. Grime, R.F. Park, H. Wallwork, R. Prangnell, R.C.M. Lance. 2003. Mapping of QTL analysis of the barley population Sloop×Halcyon. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 54:1145-1153.
6. Sato, K., K. Takeda, and P.M. Hayes. 1996. QTL analysis for net blotch resistance in barley. Vol 1 p. 298-300. In A.E. Slinkard, G.J. Scoles, and B.G. Rossnagel (eds.). Barley Genetics VII. Proc. Fifth Int. Oat Conf. & Seventh Int. Barley Genet. Symp. Proceed., Saskatoon. Univ. Ext. Press, Univ. of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada.
7. Steffenson, B.J., P.M. Hayes, and A. Kleinhofs, 1996. Genetics of seedling and adult plant resistance to net blotch (Pyrenophora teres f. teres) and spot blotch (Cochliobolus sativus) in barley. Theor. Appl. Genet. 92:552-558.
8. Yun, S.J., L. Gyenis, P.M. Hayes, I. Matus, K.P. Smith, B.J. Steffenson, and G.J. Muehlbauer. 2005. Quantitative trait loci for multiple disease resistance in wild barley. Crop Sci. 45:2563-2572.
J.D. Franckowiak and G.J. Platz. 2013. Barley Genet. Newsl. 43:211-212.