International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 90, Erectoides-j, ert-j
Stock number: BGS 90
Locus name: Erectoides-j
Locus symbol: ert-j
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Erectoides-31 = ert-31 (4).
Monofactorial recessive (4).
Located in chromosome 2H (3); ert-j.31 is based on linkage drag with the Gth1 (Toothed lemma 1) locus (3); ert-j.31 is associated with SNP markers 3_1205 to 1_1533 (positions 139.43 to 141.56 cM) in 2H bin 09 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW313 (1), in 2H bin 09.
Spikes are semicompact with rachis internode length estimates of 2.4 and 2.6 mm, and culms are about 3/4 normal length (7). Compared to Bowman plants, the plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for ert-j.31, BW313, were 10 to 20% shorter, peduncles were 20 to 25% shorter, the average rachis internode length was 3.4 vs. 4.6 mm, and kernels were 10% shorter. Spikes had 1 to 3 fewer kernels, kernels were 10 to 20% lighter, and grain yields were 10 to 20% lower than those of Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
An X-ray induced mutant in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (4).
ert-j.31 (NGB 112632, GSHO 484) in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (4); ert-j.74 (NGB 112673) in Bonus (5); ert-j.326 (NGB 112841) in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (6).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
ert-j.31 (NGB 112632, GSHO 484) in Bonus; ert-j.31 in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 1902, BW313, NGB 22109).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. Notes on linkage drag in Bowman backcross derived lines of spring barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:63-70.
4. Hagberg, A., Å. Gustafsson, and L. Ehrenberg. 1958. Sparsely contra densely ionizing radiations and the origin of erectoid mutants in barley. Hereditas 44:523-530.
5. Hagberg, A., G. Persson, and A. Wiberg. 1963. Induced mutations in the improvement of self-pollinated crops. p. 105-124. In E. Åkerberg and A. Hagberg (eds.) Recent Plant Breeding Research. Svalöf 1946-1961. Almqvist & Wiksell, Stockholm.
6. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
7. Persson, G., and A. Hagberg. 1969. Induced variation in a quantitative character in barley. Morphology and cytogenetics of erectoides mutants. Hereditas 61:115-178.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:129.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2013. Barley Genet. Newsl. 43:70.