International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 91, Erectoides-q, ert-q
Stock number: BGS 91
Locus name: Erectoides-q
Locus symbol: ert-q
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Erectoides-101 = ert-101 (5).
Monofactorial recessive (5).
Located in chromosome 6H (1); ert-q.101 is associated with SNP markers 1_0061 to 2_0379 (positions 70.15 to 160.38 cM) in 6H bins 05 to 09 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW321 (1). Previously associated with chromosome 2H based on linkage drag with the Gth1 (Toothed lemma 1) locus (3).
Spikes of ert-q.101 plants are semicompact and have slightly irregular placement of kernels (5). Seedling leaf blades are slightly wider than normal. The plants of the Bowman-backcross-derived line for ert-q.101, BW321, averaged 15% shorter, 76 vs. 89 cm, than Bowman; rachis internodes were 25% shorter, 3.3 vs. 4.5 mm; and awns were 3/4 normal length. The BW321 kernels were shorter 8.5 vs. 9.3 mm, and lighter, 5.0 vs. 5.6 mg, compared to Bowman kernels. Grain yields of BW321 were nearly equal to those of Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
A neutron induced mutant in Bonus (NGB 14657; PI 189763) (5).
ert-q.101 (NGB 112700, GSHO 1562) in Bonus (NGB 14657; PI 189763) (5); ert-q.392 (NGB 112909, GSHO 491), -q.421 (NGB 112937) in Foma (NGB 14659; CIho 11333) (4).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
ert-q.101 in Bonus (NGB 112700, GSHO 1562); ert-q.101 in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 1903, BW321, NGB 22116).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. Notes on linkage drag in Bowman backcross derived lines of spring barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:63-70.
4. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
5. Persson, G., and A. Hagberg. 1969. Induced variation in a quantitative character in barley. Morphology and cytogenetics of erectoides mutants. Hereditas 61:115-178.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:130.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2013. Barley Genet. Newsl. 43:71.