International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 87, Chlorina seedling 14, fch14
Stock number: BGS 87
Locus name: Chlorina seedling 14
Locus symbol: fch14
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Chlorina seedling 14 = f14 (3).
Monofactorial recessive (3, 5).
Located in chromosome 2HL (3); fch14.w is probably located between the vrs1 (six-rowed spike 1) and the ant2 (anthocyanin-less 2) loci (3), likely in 2H bin11 (4, 5); the Bowman backcross-derived line for fch14.w, BW356, did not retain any SNP markers polymorphisms compared to Bowman (1).
Seedlings have a pale yellow-green color. The leaves gradually become greener starting at the tip of the leaf blade, and mutant plants are indistinguishable in color from normal sibs at heading (3). When grown in the field, plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for fch14.w, BW356, produced kernels having a 10% reduction in kernel weight (2). Grain yields of BW355 and Bowman were similar, but a delay of 14 days in heading was noted when BW355 was grown under short-day conditions at Warwick, Queensland, Australia (2).
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant in Shyri (GSHO 2430, Lignee 640//Kober/Teran 78) from Ecuador (3, 6).
fch14.w (GSHO 1739) in Shyri (GSHO 2430) (3, 6).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
fch14.w (GSHO 1739) in Shyri; fch14.w in Bowman (PI 483237)*6 (GSHO 1911, BW356, NGB 20595).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. Notes on linkage drag in Bowman backcross derived lines of spring barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:63-70.
4. Kleinhofs, A. 2006. Integrating molecular and morphological/physiological marker maps. Barley Genet. Newsl. 36:66-82.
5. Kudrna, D., A. Kleinhofs, A. Kilian, and J. Soule. 1996. Integrating visual markers with the Steptoe x Morex RFLP map. p. 343. In A.E. Slinkard, G.J. Scoles, and B.G. Rossnagel (eds.) Proc. Fifth Int. Oat Conf. & Seventh Int. Barley Genet. Symp., Saskatoon. Univ. of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon.
6. Rivendeneira, M. (Personal communications).
J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:125.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2007. Barley Genet. Newsl. 37:211.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:78.