International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 586, Bracteatum-d, bra-d
Stock number: BGS 586
Locus name: Bracteatum-d
Locus symbol: bra-d
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (3).
Located in chromosome 1HL (7); bra-d.7 is about 4.1 cM from AFLP marker E3634-7 (7); probably in 1H bin 14 based on the association with trd1 (third outer glume 1) (4, 7); bra-d.7 is associated with SNP markers 1_0041 to 2_0772 (positions 199.04 to 205.07 cM) in 1HL bin 14 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW070 (1), in 1H bin 14.
The characteristic trait of this mutant is the presence of a bract (third outer glume) outside the two empty glumes of the central spikelet. The bract subtending the lowest spikelet is always the largest, embracing in some cases about one-half the spike. Bracts become progressively smaller toward the tip of the spike. Mutants have elongated basal rachis internodes (5, 6). Pozzi et al. (7) suggested that bra-d.7 is allelic to trd1 (third outer glume 1) or near the trd1 locus. Allelism studies demonstrated that bra-d.7 is not an allele at the trd1 locus (5). Compared to Bowman backcross-derived lines with trd1 mutants, the Bowman backcross-derived line for bra-d BW070 had slightly shorter peduncles, 5 or more fertile rachis nodes per spike, and slightly shorter awns. Compared to Bowman, kernel weights for BW070 were 10 to 15% and grain yield were about one half (2).
Origin of mutant:
An ethylene imine induced mutant in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (5).
bra-d.7 (NGB 114310, GSHO 1696) in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
bra-d.7 (NGB 114310, GSHO 1696) in Foma; bra-d.7 in Bowman (PI 483237)*3 (GSHO 2185, BW070, NGB 20478).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2010. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiology. Epubl. 2010 November 18, 2010 as DOI:10.1104/pp110.166249.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Gustafsson, Å., A. Hagberg, U. Lundqvist, and G. Persson. 1969. A proposed system of symbols for the collection of barley mutants at Svalöv. Hereditas 62:409-414.
4. Kleinhofs, A. 2006. Integrating molecular and morphological/physiological marker maps. Barley Genet. Newsl. 36:66-82.
5. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
6. Nybom, N. 1954. Mutation types in barley. Acta Agric. Scand. 4:430-456.
7. Pozzi, C., D. di Pietro, G. Halas, C. Roig, and F. Salamini. 2003. Integration of a barley (Hordeum vulgare) molecular linkage map with the position of genetic loci hosting 29 developmental mutants. Heredity 90:390-396.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:513.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2007. Barley Genet. Newsl. 37:284.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2010. Barley Genet. Newsl. 40:139-140.