International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 532, Eceriferum-ys, cer-ys
Stock number: BGS 532
Locus name: Eceriferum-ys
Locus symbol: cer-ys
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (4).
Located in chromosome 2HL (1, 2); cer-ys.680 is associated mainly with SNP markers 2_0674 to 1_1250 (positions 85.71 to 161.08 cM) in 2H bins 07 to 11 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW150 (1).
Surface wax coating on the leaf blade appears absent (wax code ++ ++ -) (4). The original stock has a lax spike. Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for cer-ys.680, BW150, headed one to two days later than Bowman, were about 5 cm taller, and had 2 to 4 more kernels per spike. Compared to Bowman, kernel weights for BW150 were variable, 10% less to slightly more. The grain yields of BW150 were often slightly more than those for Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
An ethylene imine induced mutant in Bonus (NGB14657, PI 189763) (3).
cer-ys.680 (NGB 111568, GSHO 1552), -ys.1352 (NGB 112240) in Bonus (NGB14657, PI 189763) (4); cer-ys.1182 (NGB 117268), -ys.1247 (NGB 112135) in Kristina (NGB14661, NGB 1500) (5); cer-ys.1826 (NGB 117374) in Bonus (6).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
cer-ys.680 (NGB 111568, GSHO 1552) in Bonus; cer-ys.680 in Bowman (PI 483237)*3 (GSHO 2222); cer-ys.680 in Bowman*5 (BW150, NGB 20556).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
4. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1982. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants VI. Barley Genet. Newsl. 12:169-172.
5. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1985. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants VII. Barley Genet. Newsl. 15.89-93.
6. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1988. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants VIII. Barley Genet. Newsl. 18:88-91.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:459.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:172.