International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 418, Eceriferum-z, cer-z
Stock number: BGS 418
Locus name: Eceriferum-z
Locus symbol: cer-z
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (4).
Located in chromosome 7HS (3); cer-z.52 is located close to the ant1 (anthocyanin-less 1) locus based on linkage drag (3); cer-z.52 is not associated with any SNP markers in the Bowman backcross-derived line BW156 (1); likely located between SNP markers 1_0726 and 1_0346 (positions 75.21 to 82.82 cM, a gap with no heterogeneities between Bonus and Bowman) in 7H bins 05 to 06 of BW156 (2).
Surface wax coating on the spike, leaf sheath, and stem appears absent (wax code - - ++). The original stock shows leaf streaks, late maturity, and semi-sterility (partial seed set) (4). The Bowman backcross-derived line has waxy nodes, normal maturity and fertility, and no leaf streaks (2). Kernels of the Bowman backcross-derived line for cer-z.52, BW156, were 5 to 10% lighter than those of Bowman. Grain yields of BW156 were about 60% those of Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
A neutron induced mutant in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (4).
cer-z.52 (NGB 110936, GSHO 447) in Bonus (NGB 14657,PI 189763) (4, 5); cer-z.74 (NGB 110958) in Bonus (5); cer-z.113 (NGB 110998) in Bonus (5, 8); cer-z.512 (NGB 111400) in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (6); ); cer-z.705 (NGB 111593), -z.981 (NGB 111869), -z.988 (NGB 111876), -z.989 (NGB 111877), -z.990 (NGB 111878) in Bonus (7).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
cer-z.52 (NGB 110936, GSHO 447) in Bonus; cer-z.52 in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 1838, BW156, NGB 21988).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. Notes on linkage drag in Bowman backcross derived lines of spring barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:63-70.
4. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1962. Induction of eceriferum mutants in barley by ionizing radiations and chemical mutagens. Hereditas 48:342-362.
5. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1971. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:97-102.
6. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1973. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants II. Barley Genet. Newsl. 3:110-112.
7. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1977. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants IV. Barley Genet. Newsl. 7:92-96.
8. Lundqvist, U., P. von Wettstein-Knowles, and D. von Wettstein. 1968. Induction of eceriferum mutants in barley by ionizing radiations and chemical mutagens. II. Hereditas 59:473-504.
U. Lundqvist. 1975. Barley Genet. Newsl. 5:136.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26.369.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:150-151.