International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 417, Eceriferum-y, cer-y
Stock number: BGS 417
Locus name: Eceriferum-y
Locus symbol: cer-y
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (6).
Located in chromosome 1HS probably (1); cer-y.72 is associated mainly with SNP markers 1_0873 to 1_0562 (positions 32.99 to 88.33 cM) in 1H bins 04 to 08 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW131 (1).
Surface wax coating on the spike appears greatly reduced, and the wax coating on the leaf sheath and stem is reduced or normal (wax code + +/++ ++). The original cer-y.72 stock showed semi-sterility (6). The Bowman backcross-derived line for cer-y.72, BW131, has normal fertility and surface wax on the leaf sheath and stem appears normal (wax code + ++ ++) (2). BW131 plants were agronomically and morphologically similar to Bowman (2).
Origin of mutant:
An ethylene imine induced mutant in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (6).
cer-y.72 (NGB 110956, GSHO 446) in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (3, 6); cer-y.884 (NGB 111772) in Bonus (4); cer-y.828 (NGB 111716) in Bonus (5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
cer-y.72 (NGB 110956, GSHO 446) in Bonus; cer-y.72 in Bowman (PI 483237)*5 (GSHO 2195); cer-y.72 in Bowman*6 (BW131, NGB 20537).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
3. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1971. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants. Barley Genet. Newsl. 1:97-102.
4. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1977. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants IV. Barley Genet. Newsl. 7:92-96.
5. Lundqvist, U., and D. von Wettstein. 1979. Stock list for the eceriferum mutants V. Barley Genet. Newsl. 9:135-137.
6. Lundqvist, U., P. von Wettstein-Knowles, and D. von Wettstein. 1968. Induction of eceriferum mutants in barley by ionizing radiations and chemical mutagens. II. Hereditas 59:473-504.
U. Lundqvist. 1975. Barley Genet. Newsl. 5:135.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:368.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:149.