International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 193, Viviparoides-b, viv-b
Stock number: BGS 193
Locus name: Viviparoides-b
Locus symbol: viv-b
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Viviparoides-6 = viv-6 (4, 5).
Monofactorial recessive (5).
Located in chromosome 4HS (2); viv-b.6 is associated with SNP markers 1_0738 to 2_0210 (positions 26.58 to 38.41 cM) in 4H bins 02 to 04, SNP markers 2_1377 and 2_0563 (positions 20.11 and 21.19 cM) in 2H bin 2, and with SNP markers 1_0376 to 2_1274 (positions 209.87 to 218.47 cM) in 2H bin 13 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW894 (2).
Tillers of the viv-b.6 plants in the original mutant stock may remain vegetative and fail to produce reproductive structures. The apex of the tillers remains vegetative as new phytomers are added, but occasionally a short, malformed spike is formed. In these spikes, many spikelets are replaced by plantlets. In the spikes that produce kernels, arrangement of spikelets is irregular and partial sterility occurs (1, 5). In the Bowman backcross-derived line for viv-b.6 (BW894), some multiflorous spikes are observed and seed set is reduced. Compared to Bowman, BW894 plants headed 7 days later, were slightly shorter and had about 3 fewer kernels per spike (3).
Origin of mutant:
An ethylene imine induced mutant in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (5).
viv-b.6 (NGB 115365) in Foma (NGB 14659, CIho 11333) (5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
viv-b.6 (NGB 115365) in Foma; viv-b.6 in Bowman (PI 483237)*4 (BW894, NGB 22327).
1. Bossinger, G., U. Lundqvist, W. Rohde, and F. Salamini. 1992. Genetics of plant development in barley. p. 989-1017. In L. Munck, K. Kirkegaard, and B. Jensen (eds.). Barley Genetics VI. Proc. Sixth Int. Barley Genet. Symp., Helsingborg, 1991. Munksgaard Int. Publ., Copenhagen.
2. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Gustafsson, Å., A. Hagberg, U. Lundqvist, and G. Persson. 1969. A proposed system of symbols for the collection of barley mutants at Svalöv. Hereditas 62:409-414.
5. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2013. Barley Genet. Newsl. 43:100.