International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 72, Globosum-c, glo-c
Stock number: BGS 72
Locus name: Globosum-c
Locus symbol: glo-c
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (2, 4).
Located in chromosome 2H (5); glo-c.1004 is associated with SNP markers 2_0387 to 1_0823 (positions 90.54 to 133.59 cM) in 2H bins 07 to 09 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW394 (1).
The kernels are more rounded or globe-shaped than in the parental cultivar. The spike is very lax with long rachis internodes (2). Compared to Bowman, the Bowman backcross-derived line for glo-c.1004, BW394, had a 10 to 15% longer rachis internodes, 5.3 vs. 4.7 mm, and four more kernels per spike. Peduncles and plants were slightly shorter and kernels were slightly shorter and lighter. BW394 plants were more susceptible to lodging than Bowman, but grain yields were similar (3).
Origin of mutant:
An X-ray induced mutant in Villa (PI 399506) (2).
glo-c.1004 (1080/72, GSHO 1329) in Villa (PI 399506) (2).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
glo-c.1004 (GSHO 1329) in Villa; glo-c.1004 in Bowman (PI 483237)*4 (GSHO 1879); glo-c.1004 in Bowman*7 (BW394, NGB 20632).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Fischbeck, G., and H. Häuser. 1976. Research notes. Barley Genet. Newsl. 6:28-29.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Häuser, H., and G. Fischbeck. 1978. Cytogenetic studies of some induced barley mutants. Barley Genet. Newsl. 8:36-37.
5. Häuser, J., and G. Fischbeck. 1976. Untersuchungen zur Lokalisierung einiger Mutationen von Gerste (Hordeum sativum). Z. Pflanzenzücht. 77:269-280.
J.D. Franckowiak and U. Lundqvist. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:109.
J.D. Franckowiak and U. Lundqvist. 2013. Barley Genet. Newsl. 43:68.