International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 73, Angustifolium-a, fol-a
Stock number: BGS 73
Locus name: Angustifolium-a
Locus symbol: fol-a
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Monofactorial recessive (2), but heterozygotes can be identified based on leaf width.
Located in chromosome 2HL (2, 5); fol-a.1 is close to the vrs1 (six-rowed spike 1) locus based on linkage drag (4); fol-a.1 is associated with SNP markers 1_0214 to 1_1250 (positions 150.96 to 161.08 cM) in 2H bins 10 to 11 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW370 (1).
Most organs are reduced in size. Plants have narrow, dark green leaves and a stunted, grassy growth habit (2, 5). Plant height is about 2/3 normal and spikes are 1/2 normal. Spikelets are about 2/3 normal size and the kernels were thin under greenhouse conditions (3). Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for fol-a.1, BW370, were slightly shorter than Bowman and leaf blades were about 1/2 normal width, 5 vs. 9 mm, and relatively short. Rachis internodes of BW370 were shorter 4.4 vs. 4.9 mm, kernels were smaller and 10 to15% lighter, but grain yields were slightly higher (3). BW370 plants lodged easier than Bowman (3).
Origin of mutant:
An X-ray induced mutant in Proctor (PI 280420) (2, 5).
fol-a.1 (2235/64, GSHO 1744) in Proctor (PI 280420) (2, 5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
fol-a.1 (GSHO 1744) in Proctor; fol-a.1 in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 1927, BW370, NGB 20609).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Fischbeck, G., and H. Häuser. 1976. Research notes. Barley Genet. Newsl. 6:28-29.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. Notes on linkage drag in Bowman backcross derived lines of spring barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:63-70.
5. Häuser, J., and G. Fischbeck. 1976. Untersuchungen zur Lokalisierung einiger Mutationen von Gerste (Hordeum sativum). Z. Pflanzenzücht. 77:269-280.
J.D. Franckowiak and U. Lundqvist. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:110.
J.D. Franckowiak and U. Lundqvist. 2013. Barley Genet. Newsl. 43:69.