International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 223, Zebra stripe 3, Zeb3
Stock number: BGS 223
Locus name: Zebra stripe 3
Locus symbol: Zeb3
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Zoned leaf c = zbc (2, 4, 5, 6, 9).
Zebra stripe c = zbc (6, 7).
Zoned leaf c2 = zbc2 (2, 4, 5).
Zebra stripe c2 = zbc2 (6).
Zebra stripe 3 = zb3 (7).
Monofactorial incomplete dominant (2, 8, 9).
Located in chromosome 1HL (2, 4); Zeb3.c is associated with SNP markers 1_0275 to 2_0997 (positions 63.72 to 89.01 cM) in 1H bin 08 of a heterozygous plant from the Bowman backcross-derived line BW932 (1).
Early leaves of homozygous plants have bright yellow bands across a light yellow background when grown under alternating temperatures, warm day and cool night (2). Later leaves have patches of bright yellow. Cool temperatures enhance the yellow banding while warm temperatures increase green pigments. Under very cold conditions, leaf blades become yellowish white and deteriorate. Heterozygotes have slightly pale green color compared to normal plants (2). The Zeb3.c gene must be maintained as a heterozygous stock because seed production on mutant plants is rare.
Origin of mutant:
A spontaneous mutant from the collection of genetic stocks maintained by Woodward (2, 5).
Zeb3.c (Utah 41, Alb Acc 43, GSHO 1451) in an unknown cultivar (2, 3 ,5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
Zeb3.c (GSHO 1451) in an unknown cultivar; Zeb3.c in Bowman (PI 483237, NGB 22812)*3 (GSHO 2057); Zeb3.c in Bowman*7 (BW932, NGB 22361).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2010. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Furst, E., and T. Tsuchiya. 1983. Primary trisomic analysis of three mutant genes in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 13:44-46.
3. Kasha, K.J., and G.W. Walker. 1960. Several recent barley mutants and their linkages. Can. J. Genet. Cytol. 2:397-415.
4. Shahla, A., and T. Tsuchiya. 1984. Additional information on the association of zbc2 for zoned leaf with chromosome 5. Barley Genet. Newsl. 14:10-11.
5. Tsuchiya, T. 1975. Allelic relationships of some morphological and chlorophyll mutants in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 5:64-67.
6. Tsuchiya, T. 1983. Proposed new gene symbol for two different mutant types for zebra Colorado, or zoned leaf. Barley Genet. Newsl. 13:84.
7. Tsuchiya, T. 1984. Zebra striped leaves: Problems in gene and stock designation and proposed new symbols for zoned or zebra mutants in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 14:21-24.
8. Tsuchiya, T., and R. Baldivia. 1981. Primary trisomic analysis of an incomplete dominant zebra mutant, zbc, in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 11:63-64.
9. Woodward, R.W. 1957. Linkages in barley. Agron. J. 49:28-32.
T. Tsuchiya and A. Shahla. 1984. Barley Genet. Newsl. 14:94 as BGS 223, Zoned leaf 3 or zebra striped leaf 3.
J.D. Franckowiak and A. Hang. 1997. Barley Genet. Newsl. 26:221.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2010. Barley Genet. Newsl. 40:72-73.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2018. Barley Genet. Newsl. 48:105-106.