International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 185, Brachytic 5, brh5
Stock number: BGS 185
Locus name: Brachytic 5
Locus symbol: brh5
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Brachytic-m = brh.m (4).
Monofactorial recessive (4, 6).
Located in chromosome 4HS (5); brh5.m is near the int-c (intermedium spike-c) locus (5); brh5.m is about 13.0 cM proximal from SSR marker Bmac0310 near the boundary between 4H bins 06 and 07 (1); brh5.m is associated with SNP markers 2_0145 to 1_1500 (positions 2.58 to 115.9 cM) in 4H bins 01 to 08 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW096 (2), likely in 4H bin 06.
Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for brh5.m, BW096, were about 3/4 normal height and their awns were about 3/4 of normal length. Peduncles were less than 2/3 normal length. Seedling leaves of brh5 plants were relatively short. The kernels of brh5 plants were shorter than those of Bowman and weighed about 30% less. BW096 plants lodged easily and the grain yields were about 1/2 those of Bowman (1, 3).
Origin of mutant:
A sodium azide induced mutant in Birgitta (NGB 14667, NGB 1494, NSGC 1870) (7).
brh5.m (17:18:2, DWS1010, GSHO 1678 in Birgitta (NGB 14667, NGB 1494, NSGC 1870) (6, 7).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
brh5.m (GSHO 1678 in Birgitta); brh5.m in Bowman (PI 483237)*7 (GSHO 2001, BW096, NGB 20502).
1. Dahleen, L.S., L.J. Vander Wal, and J.D. Franckowiak. 2005. Characterization and molecular mapping of genes determining semidwarfism in barley. J. Hered. 96:654-662.
2. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. The brachytic class of semidwarf mutants in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:56-59.
5. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. Notes on linkage drag in Bowman backcross derived lines of spring barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:63-70.
6. Franckowiak, J.D., and A. Pecio. 1992. Coordinator’s report: Semidwarf genes. A listing of genetic stocks. Barley Genet. Newsl. 21:116-127.
7. Lehmann, L.C. 1985. (Personal communications).
J.D. Franckowiak. 2002. Barley Genet.Newsl.32:100.
J.D. Franckowiak and L.S. Dahleen. 2007. Barley Genet. Newsl. 37:242.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2014. Barley Genet. Newsl. 44:110.