International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 187, Brachytic 9, brh9
Stock number: BGS 187
Locus name: Brachytic 9
Locus symbol: brh9
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Brachytic-k = brh.k (4).
Monofactorial recessive (4, 5).
Located in chromosome 4HL (1); brh9.k is about 11.7 cM distal from SRR marker Bmac0310 in 4H bin 06 (1); brh9.k is associated with SNP markers 1_1180 to 2_0906 (positions 58.13 to 92.93 cM) in 4H bins 05 to 06 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW101 (2).
Culms and peduncles are about 3/4 normal length and awns are 3/4 to 5/6 of normal length. Rachis internodes are slightly shorter than those of normal sibs. Seedling leaves of brh9.k plants of Bowman backcross-derived line BW101 are relatively short (1, 3). The kernels of BW101 plants were shorter and kernel weights were about 20% lower than those of normal sibs. Grain yields averaged less than 1/2 normal (1, 3); however, plants appeared nearly normal when grown in Dundee, Scotland (3). The brh9.k gene was found to be non-allelic at brh5 locus, which is located in the same region of 4HS (1).
Origin of mutant:
A sodium azide induced mutant in Birgitta (NGB 14667, NGB 1494, NSGC 1870) (6).
brh9.k (17:14:4, DWS1006, GSHO 1676) in Birgitta (NGB 14667, NGB 1494, NSGC 1870) (4, 5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
brh9.k (GSHO 1676) in Birgitta; brh9.k in Bowman (PI 483237)*5 (GSHO 2170); brh9.k in Bowman*7 (BW101, NGB 20507).
1. Dahleen, L.S., L.J. Vander Wal, and J.D. Franckowiak. 2005. Characterization and molecular mapping of genes determining semidwarfism in barley. J. Hered. 96:654-662.
2. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Franckowiak, J.D. 1995. The brachytic class of semidwarf mutants in barley. Barley Genet. Newsl. 24:56-59.
5. Franckowiak, J.D., and A. Pecio. 1992. Coordinator’s report: Semidwarf genes. A listing of genetic stocks. Barley Genet. Newsl. 21:116-127.
6. Lehmann, L.C. 1985. (Personal communications).
J.D. Franckowiak and L.S. Dahleen. 2007. Barley Genet. Newsl. 37:244.
J.D. Franckowiak. 2013. Barley Genet. Newsl. 43:99.