International Database for Barley Genes and Barley Genetic Stocks
BGS 624, Opposite spikelets 1, ops1
Stock number: BGS 624
Locus name: Opposite spikelets 1
Locus symbol: ops1
Previous nomenclature and gene symbolization:
Opposite spikelets-3 = op-3 (4,5).
Monofactorial recessive (4).
Location in chromosome 7HS (1); ops1.3 is associated with SNP markers 2_1419 to 1_0965 (positions 0.00 to 38.08 cM) in 7H bins 01 to 03 of the Bowman backcross-derived line BW641 (1).
Plants with the ops1.3 gene have a reduced number of tillers and very few late tillers (5). Variable lengths of the rachis internodes caused an irregular arrangement of spikelets in the spike. Compared to normal sibs, ops1.3 plants were slightly shorter and lower yielding (3, 5). Plants of the Bowman backcross-derived line for ops1.3, BW641, yielded 1/4 to 1/2 as much grain as Bowman plants. Kernels of BW641 were slightly larger than those of Bowman in low stress environments and slightly smaller in higher stress environments (3). In field environments, a variable number of kernels of BW641 exhibited a slightly split palea (3) caused by failure of the two glumes that form the palea to fuse completely (2).
Origin of mutant:
A sodium azide induced mutant in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (5).
ops1.3 (NGB 115379, GSHO 2427) in Bonus (NGB 14657, PI 189763) (5).
Mutant used for description and seed stocks:
ops1.3 (NGB 115379, GSHO 2427) in Bonus; ops1.3 in Bowman (PI 483237)*6 (GSHO 2318); ops1.3 in Bowman*7 (BW641, NGB 22206).
1. Druka, A., J. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, N. Bonar, J. Alexander, K. Houston, S. Radovic, F. Shahinnia, V. Vendramin, M. Morgante, N. Stein, and R. Waugh. 2011. Genetic dissection of barley morphology and development. Plant Physiol. 155:617-627.
2. Forster, B.P., J.D. Franckowiak, U. Lundqvist, J. Lyon, I. Pitkethly, and W.T.B. Thomas. 2007. The barley phytomer. Annals of Botany 100:725-733.
3. Franckowiak, J.D. (Unpublished).
4. Gustafsson, Å., A. Hagberg, U. Lundqvist, and G. Persson. 1969. A proposed system of symbols for the collection of barley mutants at Svalöv. Hereditas 62:409-414.
5. Lundqvist, U. (Unpublished).
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2002. Barley Genet. Newsl. 32:125.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2013. Barley Genet. Newsl. 43:165.
U. Lundqvist and J.D. Franckowiak. 2015. Barley Genet. Newsl. 45:226.